DeviceNet Question

icehube

Hi all...i am replacing a couple of motors from 3 to 5 hp....I am also replacing the drives. Do i need to remove the old ones from the scan list or can i just go into RSNeworkx and make the needed adjustments (FLA and so forth as i normally would). Thanks Im sure its easy.

Ok I've been doing some research and not sure if I am ready or not. I'm replacing a pf40p 3.0 hp to a pf40p 5.0 hp. The I/O and mapping are the same. I'm thinking I can replace it then go online with rsnetworx and update the device mismatch and adjust from there. I am pretty sure to save it I have to Goto the ADR tab and press the load device config. Am I on the right path lol. Any input would be appreciated thanks.

You should be able to just move the DNet comm board to the new drive and just update the motor parameters.

I'm thinking I can replace it then go online with RSNetworx and update the device mismatch and adjust from there.

The "Resolve Device Mismatch" function changes the identity of the drive object in the RSNetworx project file, so that you can upload parameters from the drive.

But it does not automatically alter the Electronic Keying in the DeviceNet Scanner Module's scanlist. That's how the scanner knows that the drive is a 3 HP versus a 5 HP, because each power rating has a different Device Code number, which is part of the Electronic Keying.

Electronic Keying is a good thing; it helps ensure that the wrong motor doesn't get turned just because somebody flicked a rotary switch a couple millimeters too far.

The easy thing is just to disable Electronic Keying for that particular Scanlist Entry. The slightly harder thing is to remove the Scanlist entry, and enter a new one that is mapped to the same locations in the Scanner module memory.

Auto Device Replace is a different thing: it will try to Download all the parameters for the wrong size of drive. Don't try that. Instead, update the ADR data by uploading from the drive and then saving ADR data to the controller.

I don't like to use ADR for drives. It's too hard for people to remember when they've made changes to tune the drive up, and then they're surprised when the PLC downloads the old value next time it makes a connection. And drive parameters tend to fill up the Scanner memory.

Unless you have a situation where you have to swap out drives frequently and very quickly, don't use ADR on them.

Ok thanks Ken it was mission accomplished lol. Was actually easy. I ended up taking it out of the scan list then re entering it. But to get it to change I had to delete it from the graph. After that it showed right up and just had to make sure my I/o Data was correct. I have a test bench I am experimenting with (practice makes perfect) if I disable the keying and hit appply then just power the drive on and off will it change it so I don't have to mess with the mapping? Thanks

if I disable the keying and hit appply then just power the drive on and off will it change it so I don't have to mess with the mapping?

If you un-check the Electronic Keying boxes and click "Apply", those changes are applied to the Scanner's Scanlist object immediately, and will be used the next time the scanner tries to connect to the drive.

That should be right away, if it's been sitting there trying to connect and failing because of keying.

Most modern DeviceNet scanners allow you to apply those changes to the scanner while it's in Run mode. Most older ones require the Scanner to go into Idle mode (just de-assert the .RUN bit) to make that change.

The drive itself should not have to cycle power or reconnect to the network to make this change, because the change affects only the Scanner and its Scanlist object.