SIMATIC TI505 shift register help

I'd like to start by saying that my background in engineering is mostly mechanical, and I have a tiny bit of experience with AB and RSLogix (to the extent that I can write a couple rungs, but not a full program yet), but no experience with any TI software. Google has not been my friend in regards to getting help.

I have a program that already exists that is using the shift register. We're working on adding a reject system to this line for startup conditions (after a jam, etc.), and will need to use the shift register to reject X number of bad product (X is still TBD, but will be a constant). The shift register is already used to track at least one other reject condition. The X number of bits may not work as the 0, 1,..., X-1 bits.

Ideally, I'd like to have a rung who's pseudo code is: "Any time there is a stop condition, set the X number of bits in the chosen shift register locations to 1"

I've pulled up the manual for this PLC online, but I'm not really finding anything that I can be 100% certain will work the way I want it to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hmm, You could create a bit mask for the chosen bits as a word, and do a WOR against the SR location. That would leave any existing bits high and set the others you masked as high.

So if the SR word was say, 154 or 10011010 , and you wanted to set bit position 0,4,7 to 1, you would use 01001001 or 73 as the word to OR against.

As an aside, When I use a SR I like to reject as the default condition and only accept parts that are deemed good.
Gives me more of a warm fuzzy feeling than the other way around.

Can you show me an example of how that rung would look? I can figure out the input side pretty easily.... it's the parts about pulling out the shift register, converting it to a word, and converting the WOR word back to binary and getting that back into the shift register. The WOR itself is pretty obvious to me, except I know nothing of syntax for this program. I don't even have access to the software for me to play around with it and figure it out yet.

Well, I don't have 505 Workshop anymore as that was @ my last job.

Do you happen to have a printout of the logic? I'd have to make a whole lot of assumptions w/out some more information...

Making some random assumptions -
Your SR is setup as a pseudo array of words. IE V100,V101,V102,V103,...,Vxxx and using the SSR function to shift these words on a trigger.
Each bit position of a word is related to a part,lane,something.
You wish to reject(set to 1) various bits(we will use 0,4,7 like my above example) for a specific register position(lets say V102 in this case)
V200 holds the word to use as your mask for the or (==73 for this example)

---|triggerforreject ^ oneshot|---|WOR a: V102, b: V200, c:V102|---(dummy output)---

See attachment. That's basically all I've got to work from for what's currently going on.

As I said, I have a pdf of the manual... but so far it has felt like trying to put together a cabinet with all the materials and instructions, but with no idea how to use a screwdriver.

shift register.jpg

Well crud.....

I just looked at what I wrote down for it. I guess I got confused between what I wrote down and where internet searches took me.... that may be part of my problem....

Direct Logic 305
SIMATIC TI335

Last edited:
Alright, disregard everything I posted then.

The SR in that style of PLC is a bit register. I am not familiar w/ it, but you could just issue set commands against each register you want to be 1 on your desired reject logic.