Help setting up ehternet/IP between Idec OI and MLX 1400

ioe416

Newbie question here, I have been trying to setup a Ethernet/IP network consisting of 3 AB Micrologix 1400 plc's, one Idec HG4G-CJT22MF-B OI, and
a N-Tron 108TX 8 port netwok switch by Red Lion.

I have tried every setting I can think of, but cannot get the communications to work.

I am using the following addresses:

OI 192.168.10.1
PLC1 192.168.10.2
PLC2 192.168.10.3
PLC3 192.168.10.4
SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY 192.168.10.254
LAPTOP 192.168.10.100 (for programming)

Has anyone had any experience setting up this type of network that could offer me any advice.

Hi and welcome to the Forum,

What do you mean by "Cannot get the communications to work"? Like Garry said can you ping each processor from the laptop? If not more than likely you have a configurations issue with the processors. Check the Ethernet settings in each.

I sense that you may be asking a more high level question. What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to exchange data between the processors or are you just wanting to be able to program each unit from your laptop?

Hi guys,

Sorry I wasn't clear in the original post, drawbacks of working the night shift, brain is not always firing on all pistons, LOL.

The communication trouble I am referring to is between the Idec OI and the PLC's. I can connect and program all the PLC'c and the OI from the computer, just cannot get the OI and PLC's to play nice with each other.

What I am trying to do is pull information from each PLC, and display it on one HMI.

One PLC will have analog inputs that I will use to show tank levels on the touch screen, the other two PLC's are in other parts of the plant monitoring alarm inputs on key pieces of equipment that I will then show on the touch screen as either running or in a error state.

Hope this helps clarify things.

What HMI are you using? Most of the HMI's I have used will let you connect to multiple PLC's using different protocols. So you don't have to share the data between the PLC's to get the info on the HMI. Once we know the HMI you are using we should be able to offer more details.

Hello,

I am using an Idec HG4G-CJT22MF-B, which is supposed to support connecting to up to 16 PLC's.

Hello,

I am using an Idec HG4G-CJT22MF-B, which is supposed to support connecting to up to 16 PLC's.

are you sure you have the ip address of the idec and the gateway correct? usually the gateway on a 255.255.255.0 network would be .1

can you ping all of the devices from your laptop?

I am sorry I seen that in your post but thought it was another PLC not a HMI Sorry my bad.

How That I have my head on straight, does any of the PLC's communicate with the HMI? if not I would suspect a set up issue in the HMI. I would start very simple with just putting one item on the screen and see if you can get that to communicate. If you get that then you can move up to more complicated objects. That way you rule out any HMI object errors from causing you problems.

Good Morning,

I don't know what happened, (I haven't changed anything), but when I cam in today it decided it wants to work. Everything is now communicating fine.

I appreciate everybody's help.