Hydrocarbon in Tunnel drainage

Charbel

Dear,

concerning the attached, clause 7.12.7.2, how the detection of hydrocarbons in the tunnel drainage effluent is understood?

Do we need to include hydrocarbon sensors along the trench along the tunnel (maybe from sensing element from Traceteck) or it is enough to include hydrocarbon sensor at the end of the trench directly in the pumping station where it is taking the drainage is begin filled?

I could not properly understand this clause in NFPA502,

Any thoughts are really appreciated.

thank you,

charbel

IANAL... (But I did stay in a HIE once.)
As it specifies "in the tunnel drainage effluent" I would take it as a sensor is needed only at the point the drainage leaves the tunnel.

Dear russB,

thank you for your reply, however, if detection of fuel spillage is done at an early stage and the alerted Operator will then have to take some measures (the mitigation measures) in order to lower the risk of hazardous material spillage (such as activating information signs and warnings for the drivers, contacting Civil Defense or any intervention team, etc.). These mitigation measures won’t be effective unless a quick and early detection is ensured by sensing cables laid in the tunnels drainage channels.

therefore, in this case, NFPA502 clause 7.12.7.2 can be understood that early detection is needed?

thank you,

charbel

Dear russB,

thank you for your reply, however, if detection of fuel spillage is done at an early stage and the alerted Operator will then have to take some measures (the mitigation measures) in order to lower the risk of hazardous material spillage (such as activating information signs and warnings for the drivers, contacting Civil Defense or any intervention team, etc.). These mitigation measures won’t be effective unless a quick and early detection is ensured by sensing cables laid in the tunnels drainage channels.

therefore, in this case, NFPA502 clause 7.12.7.2 can be understood that early detection is needed?

thank you,

charbel
After reading your revised question I surmise that you should install a sensor at least every 10 meters and maybe every other location needs a backup sensor, just in case?

After reading your revised question I surmise that you should install a sensor at least every 10 meters and maybe every other location needs a backup sensor, just in case?

thanks for your reply, actually I will not install a sensor every 10 meter but it would be a sensing element located in the trench to provide early detection of fuel spillage in the tunnel.

Do you have such a device in mind? I did a single point hydrocarbon sensor for a water intake once and it was incredibly expensive and difficult to get accurate readings with.