Siemens S7 5.5 Symbol Editor Export/Import

bhedding024

I have a S7 project originally written in German that I am trying to troubleshoot. Can the symbol table be exported into Excel then translated and imported back into S7 v5.5? Is there any way to do a bulk translation of the STL comments as well? I've been working with AB PLC's for 20 years and this is the first Siemens project I've really had to work on of any significance. Is it just me or is the learning curve pretty significant? Thanks for your help!

Welcome to forum.

Symbol table (Mx.x, MWx.x addresses etc.) can directly be copied to excel and back. Highlight symbols and copy with normal commands.

If you also need to change symbols inside DB-blocks, then you need excel addon for that. (it is also possible without, but easier with excel tool)

If you change DB-blocks, then they have different timestamp than PLC versions. For correcting timestamps you need to copy online versions to offline project after you have changed DB-blocks. PLC have only addresses, symbols are only save on offline project.

https://support.industry.siemens.co...-x-from-an-ms-excel-2003-table?dti=0&lc=en-WW

If you want to keep the original language do like Adfox say and go to menu options --> manage multilingual texts.

There you can choose to export everything that is translatable from the project HMIs also if they are included in the project.

Then you import the new texts and change to the new language. It is also possible to change back to the original language

Note that some things are not translatable like Symbol and In/Out parameters of FC/FC etc

I have a S7 project originally written in German that I am trying to troubleshoot. Can the symbol table be exported into Excel then translated and imported back into S7 v5.5? Is there any way to do a bulk translation of the STL comments as well?

The multilingual texts for the symbol table include the comments, but not the tag names themselves. This should create a bunch of files, containing different categories of text. For many texts in the project, like comments, you can have text entered for multiple languagues, and switch between them easily.

You can import/export from the symbol table to a few different text formats. None of them are directly a CSV file, but some of them are close, or tab delimited. You can change the tag names here, then import back in.

Is it just me or is the learning curve pretty significant? Thanks for your help!

It isn't just you. Siemens vs AB solve pretty much the same problem (program a PLC) in completely different ways, and (besides the basics of ladder logic), almost nothing about the User Interface transfers from one to the other. Not saying one is better than the other, but they are definitely different.

TIA Portal (now in V14) is much easier to use, though, if/when you get the opportunity. It requires a beast of a PC to run happily (but then, so does Studio5000 these days), but the UI is so much improved from the old Simatic Manager.

Hello, I work on different brands of PLC's but you should check this out. When compliling the project you will get a file .sys that file contains your adresses. You can open this file with notepad.

Also some programing enviorments like TC3 have a feature where you can select what languages you want and you get te multilingual texts. However the messages for some languages like Czech or Romanian are full of flaws.