Basic Wi-Fi help

DLMUK

Hi,

I do not have much experience with setting up Wi-fi networks so I am after a bit of advice.

I have a Siemens S7-1200 PLC which I want to connect to my network in the office. We already have a WLAN setup, so I guess I need a wireless access point and need to ask IT dept. to assign a fixed IP address which I can use?

What I want to do is...

Have the S7-1200 plugged into my wireless access point
Connect it to the network as a device with a fixed IP
Load up a web browser on any PC connected to the WLAN in the office
Type in the IP address of the PLC and access the web server

I don't need anything fancy for outdoor use etc, this is just to have a PLC sat on my desk.

thanks

So, plugged or wireless?

Hi

Sorry may be a bit unclear.

I want to plug the PLC in to a WIRELESS access point.

Then be able to access the web server by typing in the PLC ip address on my laptop which is connected to the same wireless network/router which the access point is connected to. I.e. not connected directly to the access point, but via the existing router.

The laptop is hardwired into the back of the router.

PLC<<cable>>Wireless Access Point<<wireless>>WLAN>>wireless>>ROUTER>>cable>>LAPTOP

Hope that makes sense.

If you already have the wireless network in place, then you need a wireless client or bridge, as someone else suggested. Many (but not all) wireless access points can be put into a mode that supports this function.

From Siemens, you can get something like a W720, which is a dedicated wireless client module. It is a bit more rugged than a consumer grade wireless device like a netgear, if you need it installed in a factory instead of a home/office type environment. Mounts to the DIN rail right next to the 1200. The other advantage is that the client module can be set to the 1200's MAC address, which enables the layer 2 communication for when Portal does it's scan of accessible devices (DCP). This would be blocked/prevented by typical wireless devices.

http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/industri...ss-lan/pages/scalance-w720-client-module.aspx

On the IT side, yes, I'd recommend requesting a static IP for the 1200. You shouldn't need to disable DHCP in the wireless network or anything like that, but you may need to in whatever wireless bridge/client you get. Don't want multiple DHCP servers on the same network.

If you do it that way as Dravik said you would need a device that can act a wireless bridge. You could simplify and have the S7-1200 connected to a wireless access point and then let your laptop connect to the that wireless network when you need access to the PLC. The advantage is that the PLC is never on your main network, it is always on its own. It is generally thought bad practice to mix office networking and machine networking together.

If you do it that way as Dravik said you would need a device that can act a wireless bridge. You could simplify and have the S7-1200 connected to a wireless access point and then let your laptop connect to the that wireless network when you need access to the PLC. The advantage is that the PLC is never on your main network, it is always on its own. It is generally thought bad practice to mix office networking and machine networking together.

Point noted about the office and machine networks. the product I have suggested is a wireless access point, so I believe this is the type of product you are suggesting?

thanks

I should step back here as well.

If you are using this for giggles and/or practice, Then connecting it to your office network would be fine.

If you are using this for any kind of production/control of something real, Then I agree w/ BryanG that you will need to take further steps.

It can work as an Access Point so should be good. Give it a fixed IP address on the same subnet and with the same subnet mask as the S7-1200. Switch on DHCP and make sure the addresses it gives out on the same subnet and with the same subnet mask as the S7-1200. Switch on the wireless security. Make sure you set a new password for the Access point.