S7 HW Config - Changing DP module Order number

SysIntegrator

Hello,

I have several PLC projects with elaborate hardware configurations and now at field commissioning I see that some of the order numbers are not exactly what is in the hardware configuration (example - "6ES7 151-1AA05-0AB0" vs "6ES7 151-1AA06-0AB0"). I would like to change the order number, but it seems it cannot be changed without creating a new module of the right type and then repopulating all the information. This is especially painful because some of these modules have elaborate configurations, which can be copy and pasted, but the I/Q addresses cannot be replicated without first deleting the original, in which case you can no longer paste it.

So right now I'm looking at it and it seems like it'll be a nightmare to correct all the instances of wrong order number. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way?

Also, I have the exact same issue if I wish to change a module to a different network (example X1 to X2 profibus loop). I have to copy and paste, but when I do the IO allocation changes and I have to delete the old one then correct the new one by hand.

If the module is compatible, you can right click and hit replace object.

Also, in Netpro it should be fairly easy to change out networks.

Netpro.PNG HW.png

If replacing is not possible, I would save the project to a different location (e.g. C:\temp). Then you can delete the parts in you original project, add the new DP modules, and copy the I/O modules from the temp-project into the new DP modules. So at least the I/O modules will keep their settings and addresses.
But the settings of the module itself you have to modify by hand.

Maybe it can be done by exporting the HW config as text file, and to modify this by hand.
Before this, I would add one of the new modules to see how the textual description has to be done (maybe it has some new options).

I know its a few days late, but thought I'd add my 2 cents anyway.

The new module is listed as being spare part compatible with the old unit, and doesn't have any new features. If you buy the old part #, the new number is automatically sent instead. If you simply download the existing config, it should work just fine.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/us/en/view/109479107

Besides an understandable desire to have the system at least start out in a correctly documented state, is there any need to change these modules?