Detect clear glass jar then full level of oil in the jar

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
Potential project will have a sample jar that will need to be automatically filled. As of right now, I believe that the jars will be clear glass or plastic. I want to detect that the jar is in place, and then fill the jar to a level and detect when it is full.

The liquid will be engine oil.
For the jar inplace sensor I am thinking a capacitive prox switch.
For the full level in the jar, I'm thinking perhaps photoelectric. Would diffuse photoelectric be a good match?

I'm sure someone has worked through this before. Anyone have suggestions?

Are the jars all the same or different shapes and sizes? If all the same, then I would probably not bother trying to measure the level in each jar as they will all receive the same amount anyway. Rather have the machinery before the jar measure the correct amount and just dump it into the jar "unseen".

Yes, better be sure the jar is actually in place before you make a mess, but it seems you already got that covered. Depending on where the jars come from you may also want to make sure they are empty when entering your filling station.

There's a good chance that you could use a capacitive prox to detect the level.

A polarized retroreflective photoeye may also be a good solution for detecting the container. ifm does make one specifically for clear materials.

I've done a project for something similar before at a previous job, except for I was putting chewable vitamins inside of clear container.

Because I was going for accuracy and speed, I used an inline scale conveyor to weigh each container as it ran.

I'm not sure how in depth your project is though, as a scale may be over kill.

There is no room in budget for weight or volume measurement. I could do time, but since the oil delivery supply flow and pressure may change each time that would not be the most accurate. These will be for automatic filling of jars for oil samples. Volume in the jar is not very critical, basically full enough without over filling.

I'd put a capacitive prox on each side of the jar, adjust the sensitivity on them so that one of them sees an empty jar and one of them doesn't trigger on the empty jar but does on a full one. I've used the IFM KI0205 on a heap of different applications - admittedly, all solids/powders rather than liquids, but I've never not been able to tune it in correctly.

I'd put a capacitive prox on each side of the jar, adjust the sensitivity on them so that one of them sees an empty jar and one of them doesn't trigger on the empty jar but does on a full one. I've used the IFM KI0205 on a heap of different applications - admittedly, all solids/powders rather than liquids, but I've never not been able to tune it in correctly.

That is what I thought of, but depending on the oil and the jar, the dielectric of the jar may be more than of the oil. The net result is that the oil could not be seen through the jar.

From reading this:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12772/6543185/12041221/12041231/print.html