TIA Portal V11 Project won't Load

jt5405

Hi all and Merry Christmas.
I am running TIA Portal V11 with SP2 and UPDP5. I am only running 2 machines with this software right now and yesterday went to load the project on my PC just to go over it. The project path is: C:\ProgramFiles\Siemens\Automation\PortalV11|MedStripApRev2 1-3-2014. When clicking on: Load and Existing Project and the program name, I get an hourglass and then a box with the message: The application has encountered a problem and needs to close Would you like to restart the application. I have thechoice to restart or close. Every stored version gives me this message. I was able to open the program by dragging it onto a flash drive and starting it from the E: drive, but this still is concerning. Anyone else dealt with this problem?

I have had a program fail to open because "the file path is too long". Seems a strange and unusual limitation, but I shortened the filename by a couple of characters and it opened fine.

It did actually give me that message, not just crash and ask me to reopen, but if opening it from a USB worked, I'd be suggestively glancing in that direction, as by moving it onto a USB you've shortened C:\ProgramFiles\Siemens\Automation\PortalV11 to simply E:\, which is highly suspicious IMO :)

Thanks for your info. Tried it, had to go to my IT department to get authorization to change file name, but it didn't work. Same message. Considering removing program and reinstalling, but not sure I want to get that drastic before the holiday. I seem to remember it took a long time to download and install all the add-ons. Might want to tackle that in the new year. Anyway , hope you have a happy holiday.