Ignition Alarm Email Help

DwSoFt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ok so i have jumped right into Ignition (v7.8). I Have the basics figured out. The videos help lots.
I have setup an alarm in ignition. I need to send out email notifications based off those alarms.
Im not sure how to get my emails out of the server. i created a dummy Gmail account for this for now.

ive been playing with the smtp service, firewall in and out, enable ports, etc thanks to google, and still no luck.
Running Windows Server 2012 R2 on a Dell Poweredge T630 Server.

Let me know if i need to post some screenshots.
Thanks guys. I have a couple people i will phone tomorrow, if i do solve it i will post it on here as well.
Couldnt find what i wanted with the google search engine on here

seems like for a gmail account you need to go in and change a setting in gmail to allow 3rd party apps

https://touchmail.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/560391-enabling-third-party-apps-in-gmail

You shouldnt have to do anything with the firewall unless you are blocking outgoing traffic and only allowing configured rules thru outbound.

hostname should be smtp.gmail.com

port 465

use ssltls checked
use starttls checked

username should be whatever your username is + @gmail.com

you should be able to set this up in the email settings of the gateway under configuration and then there is a test option that you can use to test if it works.

after you get it working there you have to create a email alarm notification profile which you can then either tell it to use the email you just created in the email settings area or you can create a new separate one.

after that the videos should help you. You will need to create the alarm pipelines and set the tags up for alarming and make sure they are set for the pipelines. Im not a big fan of their notification setups. they work well but I would like some more flexibility.

Last edited:
Yes I have done this already, I have tried a lot of things and I'm. Otherwise sure why it's not sending. I can see on server manager it is saying SMTP can't connect to my DNS for some reason.

Also thanks for the Reply Diat

Last edited:
can you ping smtp.gmail.com from your server?

also, I am not sure what you mean by server manager, you shouldnt have to look anywhere other than the console in ignition to see what is going on.

Last edited:
Windows server manager. it shows me the error for dns so something is not right somewhere
It shows me these errors when i look up the status.
and it is because im using powershell to test the setup i think. i will try ignition again.

to be honest ive only used the ping command for local networks before

when i tried smtp.gmail.com
it immediately said that ping could not find host smtp.gmail.com

the network card says i have internet access but i can not bring up a website in internet explorer. but i am remoted into it so i know the connection physically is good.

Ignition says it is sending an email to the SMTP server port 25 successfully now. I just need it to relay out to the Internet I think...

Last edited:
http://accautomation.ca/heres-is-a-quick-way-to-send-email-text-messages-from-the-plc/

Google provides three different SMTP settings in which you can send email messages from a printer, scanner or application (PLC).

SMTP relay service – used to send mail from your organization by authenticating with the IP address(s). You can send messages to anyone inside or outside of your domain.

Gmail SMTP server – requires authentication with your Gmail/Google Apps account and password. Messages can be sent to anyone inside or outside of your domain.

Restricted Gmail SMTP server – does not require authentication, and you will be restricted to send messages to Gmail or Google Apps users only.

The above link will explain how to use the restricted gmail SMTP server.

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

Ok. It is not an Ignition thing.

Here is what i think is happening:

My server is connected through the DNS server on another Server on site and then out to the internet. I cant get through that server and out (it says failed to connect to DNS under my server manager), so i may need to do something on the other server?
I seem to be a bit over my head at the moment.

I have only been given access to the scada server not the main server at this point. So i may need to talk to them and get that server setup for this?

What are your thoughts. Thank you.

I cannot ping smtp.gmail.com from the server
I can ping smtp.gmail.com from my computer im on
Im connected to the server via VPN and RDC
Server says it has internet connection (it must have some connection as i am connected to it through the internet lol) but cannot connect via IE

Im thinking i need the Network Administrator to do something.
Thanks for the help so far.