SLC 500 5/04 Processor and RS Linx communication

Good Morning ,

I cannot believe I forgot how to do this. It seems like I have been spoiled with everything being Ethernet. I have a SLC 500 5/04 that I am trying to communicate with . I am trying to use a 1747-CP3 cable with my serial port. I am having a difficult time getting a consistent connection. I will gain some connectivity, and try to upload the PLC program , but I will get a communication
error " Upload Failed ! Communication Errors ! " . I tried a few 1747-CP3 cables and I get the same results. Monday , I am going to try a USB adaptor that I think works with the 1747-CP3 that I found in another laptop case. Any thoughts
on this issue and any experiences ?

Also , do you folks have some good links explaining how Com Ports work ? I am confused on some other drivers that are in RS Linx on this computer that has
Com 5 listed . Is it possible that I need to do something in Device Manager ?

Thanks so much for your help. You and your families have a Merry Christmas.

Good Morning ,

I cannot believe I forgot how to do this. It seems like I have been spoiled with everything being Ethernet. I have a SLC 500 5/04 that I am trying to communicate with . I am trying to use a 1747-CP3 cable with my serial port. I am having a difficult time getting a consistent connection. I will gain some connectivity, and try to upload the PLC program , but I will get a communication
error " Upload Failed ! Communication Errors ! " . I tried a few 1747-CP3 cables and I get the same results. Monday , I am going to try a USB adaptor that I think works with the 1747-CP3 that I found in another laptop case. Any thoughts
on this issue and any experiences ?

Also , do you folks have some good links explaining how Com Ports work ? I am confused on some other drivers that are in RS Linx on this computer that has
Com 5 listed . Is it possible that I need to do something in Device Manager ?

Thanks so much for your help. You and your families have a Merry Christmas.

If you are getting it to see the processor and upload has started, then you must have the correct COM device setings.

Some USB to serial adapters don't work as well as others, but it has been my experience that they either work pretty well or not at all.

The error you posted rings a bell as potentially being related to a SLC program that was downloaded to the SLC with a very old version of ICOM software.

I have also seen this error when the SLC was too busy handling interrupts or other communication tasks.

You might try putting the SLC in program mode with the keyswitch (if your process allows).

I have had best results with the Keyspan USA-19HS and with GITs USB to serial adapter. I like his better than the keyspan actually:

http://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-usb-1747-cp3-1756-cp3-slc-5-03-04-and-clx/

Thanks ,

I did take notice that the DH+ LED keeps flashing on the 5/04. Is this normal ? When I do have communication , via RS 232 , I do get a momentary flash of the RS 232 LED.

Yes, both of those indications are normal. You should see rapid flashing on the RS232 LEd when there is steady communication like during an upload.

I 100% recommend Geniusintraining s cables as well. I have guys at work using them as well. 1 guy said he loved the fact that the cable is longer than. The key span lol