Siemens Step 7 5.2 Licensing for S7-400H

Chris Taylor

Lifetime Supporting Member
Morning All

As part of a SCADA upgrade I have inherited a pair of S7-400H processors and some remote I/O. I have a backup of the Step 7 file and I know the system runs on version 5.2. there are no plans to upgrade this version.
I have a Step 7 basic Licence for 5.2 but this won’t let me access the redundant system. I also can get a 5.4 professional license if I need too.
So my question is, a) can I get an upgrade for the 5.2 licence? or b) would the 5.4 licence be compatible with a 5.2 system and does the professional version include redundancy.
I know I should engage with the Siemens vendor in the UK and I will when I’m ready.

Also if there are any freelance Siemens guys or girls local to the S.E. UK feel free to PM me as I may sub-out this part of the job.

Hi Chris!

a) I doubt you will be able to get that, other than on ebay or something.
b) Pro does not include redundancy (nor safety). I do not think the 5.4 will be compatible with 5.2 either.

These licenses are pretty pricey...

i think i would so as you suggested....sub out the plc part to an integrator who has the licences

Depending on the scope it may work out cheaper !!

i think i would so as you suggested....sub out the plc part to an integrator who has the licences

That’s my thinking, but the customer is also keen to have a laptop on site with all the programming tools.

I've been trying to work out what the part number of the S7-400H licence is but failing, I'm not entirely sure what to look for.o_O

Chris
What do you mean access your system?
I'm not aware of any "H" license
Now HF is a totally different thing
Can you do some screenshots of the messages your getting on your project?
Also- see my pic attached- does the project show any required option packages?

h system.jpg

Chris
Now HF is a totally different thing

yes I understand that, this is for a redundant processor.

below is the screen shot of the error I get. the other PLCs are S7-300's and are fine
Step_7_H.jpg

What happens when you open the hardware config?
Question marks on the cpus ? Or?
Also what shows up under missing licenses under automation license manager?
Use the drop down for missing licenses

Last edited: