FactoryTalk View Studio Restoring .apa from .mer

Compass

Hello

I have two panelview running. I'm trying to restore project files from their runtime files. I upload the .mer file and try to restore a .apa file from application manager.

This worked fine with one panelview. It fails with the other.

For the one that doesn't work, I get the message "The file XXX.mer is not a valid runtime application file.

My computer is xp running ftvs 7.00.00 (CPR 9 SR 6)
The panels are: panelview plus 6 1000

Please advise.

Causes
1 The .APA/.MER file was created in a newer version of the software and the older version does not recognize it.
Creating a*backup or runtime*file in one version of FactoryTalk*Studio then attempting to restore it in an older version is not supported.* The version of FactoryTalk View on the system restoring the file must be the same or newer than the system that created the file.* This includes patches and patch roll-ups.
2 The .APA file is from a FactoryTalk View Site Edition application and restoration is being attempted in FactoryTalk View Machine Edition.* Or the reverse.
Note: This can also be caused by trying to open a FactoryTalk View SE application with only FactoryTalk View ME installed.
3 The*file has a Read only attribute set.
4 The file was created on a computer with FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP) that is newer than the computer that is being restored on.
5 The file has ActiveX files in the project and those ActiveX files are not registered on the computer.
6 The trojan SProtector.A existed on the computer.
7 The computer you are restoring to does not have RSLinx Enterprise installed on it.
8 Corrupted file.

Solutions
1 Upgrade to the same version of FactoryTalk View Studio*in which the archive was created including patches and patch roll-ups. FactoryTalk View Patch Roll up can be found in technote
748634 - FactoryTalk View - Patch Roll-up for CPR9 SRx
2 FactoryTalk View SE backup files cannot be restored in FactoryTalk View ME.* The reverse is also true.
3 Check the Windows attributes on the file
4 Verify FactoryTalk Services Platform is a compatible version with the system that created the file.
5 If FactoryTalk Machine Edition ActiveX files are used in the original application, the computer that is restoring the file needs to have the same OCX*versions installed and registered on the computer.
6 Scan for viruses/trojans/malware
7 Create a new file on the source system.* Verify version compatibility between*the source and recipient systems.

Note:* A possible solution to by-pass version issues with*FactoryTalk View Machine Edition*is to create a .MER file on the source system which is the same version as the recipient system.
Only version 5.0 and greater runtime files can be restored - for earlier versions see technote*8913 - Recovering a FactoryTalk View ME Project from the MER File version 4.0 or earlier.
Only v6.1 and greater runtime (.MER) files can be restored that are created on a 64 bit Windows OS.

what versions are the panelviews running? version 4 or earlier cannot be restored using application manager.

also, if I remember right, if you try to restore an .mer that was created with a 64 bit system to a 32 bit system it will give you trouble.

If you search around on the forum there is a user that created a utility that will analyze the .mer and tell what version it was created in and whatnot. it was useful to me a couple of times.

This is what diat150 was talking about, it should tell you what version the file was created in.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=90986

Thanks

It was created in V8 on a 64 bit machine for ME.

I'm using V7 on a 32 bit.

Strange since the same guy submitted both .mer in the same week. ( the one that worked and the one that didn't)

Guess I know what the problem is, just need a new computer to fix it.

If you want I could try to restore it and send it to you in V7. PM me if you are interested.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the 64 bit part, that was a bit unreliable in my program. When you create a runtime, you can pick the version that it will be made in. For example, if you send it to me, I use v8 but I'd send it back to you made in v7.

If you want I could try to restore it and send it to you in V7. PM me if you are interested.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the 64 bit part, that was a bit unreliable in my program. When you create a runtime, you can pick the version that it will be made in. For example, if you send it to me, I use v8 but I'd send it back to you made in v7.

That would be great.
What does pm mean?
How do I send it to you?
sorry to be a n00b.

Click on my name, select Send Private Message and in the message, put your email address and I will send you an email, we can exchange it that way...

Thanks

It was created in V8 on a 64 bit machine for ME.

I'm using V7 on a 32 bit.

Strange since the same guy submitted both .mer in the same week. ( the one that worked and the one that didn't)

Guess I know what the problem is, just need a new computer to fix it.

when you go to save the file you have a dropdown to select what version you want to save the mer as. many times I have had to redo because I saved as the newer version instead of the older.

Why the h**l do people or companies not preserve the original source of code for a machine? Do they think it has no value? It should be required as part of the original purchase! The schematics and code for any programmable device is an incredibly valuable part of the original machine. The continued history of code changes is just as important!

I can't believe how many posts relate to not having the history of documentation of a device.

I guess such actions lead to a continued source of employment.

It's probably ignorance on the part of customers not realizing that this stuff is important. This stuff needs to be spelled out in the purchasing contracts.