ABB robot power off

khewes

Hello all,

quick question

Does turning the power to the robot controller for an ABB IRC5 cause it to crash?

its in home position right now, and I want to get into the controller to wire some outputs.. but im not sure that if i switch the power off the robot will stay at home or fall.

should it stay home or will it fall?

thanks,
kris

As always, it helps to know which model is being discussed. That said, the one ABB robot I worked on, built 25+ years ago, had brakes on each axis which engaged after a period of no movement or E-stop or power off.

Hello all,

quick question

Does turning the power to the robot controller for an ABB IRC5 cause it to crash?

its in home position right now, and I want to get into the controller to wire some outputs.. but im not sure that if i switch the power off the robot will stay at home or fall.

should it stay home or will it fall?

thanks,
kris

I just attended a ABB IRC5 class the first week of December. Doug is correct, the robot has brakes that engage whenever the enable is not made. It also has resolvers instead of an encoder so if the battery backup for the resolver "memory" are good then it will "remember" where it is parked. If the battery is not good then all bets are off. The battery is at the base of the robot and is wrapped in blue shrink tubing.