Omron NJ Basic I/O for Ethernet/IP ?

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does the basic NJ I/O unit CJ1W-MD232 work only on the EtherCAT network of the NJ.. or can it be programed to function on the NJ’s Ethernet/IP network?

I’m thinking it can’t .. and I’ll have to use the EtherNet/IP Coupler: NX-EIC202 ?

Regards, Michael

The CJ1W-MD232 is a standard rack card - nothing to do with Ethernet I/P.

Thanks for the reply lostcontrol & BobB
Yes .. CJ units connect directly to the NJ... BUT, How do I get this one on the NJ's Ethernet network.. It isn't available in Network Configurator, for Ethernet/IP and when it shows up in the I/O Map.. it's in the EtherCAT network... So.. methinks anything in the rack connected to the NJ is for EtherCAT? Is that what you are saying BobB? And If I want to use I/O's in the Ethernet/IP network.. I have to use a remote coupler like NX-EIC202, with it's boards?

Why do you want it on the Ethernet network?

Thanks for the reply lostcontrol & BobB
Yes .. CJ units connect directly to the NJ... BUT, How do I get this one on the NJ's Ethernet network.. It isn't available in Network Configurator, for Ethernet/IP and when it shows up in the I/O Map.. it's in the EtherCAT network... So.. methinks anything in the rack connected to the NJ is for EtherCAT? Is that what you are saying BobB?
No, rack is rack. EtherCAT is a fieldbus.

And If I want to use I/O's in the Ethernet/IP network.. I have to use a remote coupler like NX-EIC202, with it's boards?
Yes, but you will not be able to use the CJ rack IO.
Why would you use Ethernet/IP I/O when the NJ does EtherCAT natively?

If you need the MD232 as remote IO, then I am afraid you are out of luck with that particular module.
You could connect it to a CJ2 with E/IP & do it that way, but kinda defeats the point of using the NJ.... IMHO

GADZOOKS! We're talking on 2 Forums! I'm going to get in trouble.

I want some I/O's on the Ethernet/IP network because I'm running a LinMot driver controlling a linear motor.. and the driver is Ethernet/IP :)

Yes.. I should be using a LinMot EtherCAT drive, but I don't have one .. an' I'm too cheep to buy one (for now) and.. I'm "learning" the Omron NJ Because it's got a Motion Controller that is necessary to run the special curves I need. It's going to be harder to get the Ethernet/IP Drive to do what I want ... because the NJ's EtherCAT port has massive programming tools, which won't be available on the Ethernet/IP port.

For now.. That's OK.. I'll use EtherCAT for some training in motion control with an Omron R88D drive and a motor. And, eventually will get the LinMot EtherCAT Drive ... by then, I might even know what I'm doing