Powerflex 70 newbie question

unsaint32

Hi I have a newbie question regarding Powerflex 70 acceleration control (used with PLC). My goal is to speed up the accerlation.

My parameters are as following.
Par 140 [Accel Time1] = 0
Par 141 [Accel Time2] = 0
Par 146 [S Curve %] = 100

Does this mean that I get the max accel as it is? My PLC tag, Drive:O.DriveLogicRslt_Accel1, is set to 0.

Am I even using Par 140 & 141?

Do I have to have the PLC tag, Drive:O.DriveLogicRslt_Accel1, set to 1 in order for me to use the parameter 140?

it took too long to find this answer

The best advice I can give you is to learn how to quickly search manuals.

First google "powerflex 70 pdf" "powerflex 70 manual" or "powerflex 70 user manual"

This will bring up a 200 page document.

Hold Ctrl hit F. This is the Find command. If it does not work change your PDF reader.

Type in what you are searching for. These have to be exact matches so less is better. "accel Time1" sounds good if that does not work type "accel" try to find something with few matches.

Start hitting next on the find bar.

You should find key information and be done with looking up everything to do with that function in 10 minutes max.

I believe if memory serves correctly, that those accel times may change based on other settings in the configuration. For instance if you are using remote control it may want the value from the plc and disable the value in the drives memory settings. If you look in the manual you will find this and a wealth of information.

Don't go hunting for the above setting! I've done too many different drives to keep them separate in my memory banks.

Learn document efficiency, never use paper manuals, always use the computer find/search function.

Good luck! 🔨

You can try to set the Accel time to 0, but that does not mean the drive will do it. 0 second accel means essentially across-the-line starting. The motor will want approx. 600% current to do that, the drive will not deliver more than 200% current for 2 seconds or 150% current for 60 seconds (depending on how you sized it). So it will likely trip. If you set the current limit behavior to reduce the Hz to avoid tripping, the accel time will not be predictable.

An Accel time of 0 will fault the drive when you try to start it (at least it does on a PF525). Also if you put in 100 that's 1.00 seconds.

Last edited: