big challenge opportunity but need help

stu

Hi guys
I have been thrown in the deep end and asked if i can get data off a label Printer (markem cimpak 300) into a Siemens plc then out to a sql data base ? Masive challenge for me to learn very quick ?
Process of the line
A pallet gets wrapped and a scanner reads a box label which is connected to the printer which changes the info in the printer to print an outer pallet label (which works ) but what I need to do is get the product name , batch number , sscc , quantity info from the Printer into a seimens plc and the out to a sql data base ?
Has anyone dealt with something like this before with a markem printer ? I need help and guidance thanks stu

Hi guys
I have been thrown in the deep end and asked if i can get data off a label Printer (markem cimpak 300) into a Siemens plc then out to a sql data base ? Masive challenge for me to learn very quick ?
Process of the line
A pallet gets wrapped and a scanner reads a box label which is connected to the printer which changes the info in the printer to print an outer pallet label (which works ) but what I need to do is get the product name , batch number , sscc , quantity info from the Printer into a seimens plc and the out to a sql data base ?
Has anyone dealt with something like this before with a markem printer ? I need help and guidance thanks stu

Hi there,
Is the end goal to get the information to an SQL database? If so it shouldn't need to go through the PLC. On checking the interfaces on the printer here it says the printer has a RS232/422/485 serial interface (2,400-57,600 baud) and an Ethernet interface which is optional.

In this case you could create a simple software that listens to the serial port / ethernet of the pc / laptop you have it plugged into and decipher and send this information to the SQL database. I'm trying to find a manual online for the printer to see what exactly the interfaces are for.

cheers Callum

I agree with the others, there is no need to throw a PLC into the mix here unless you need to implement some other physical control on the line based off of the barcode data.

Ever seen this?
http://www.telit.com/products-and-s...-factory/enterprise-software-for-siemens-plc/

Worked on a small system with one
From the CP343 ERPC data goes directly to SQL

FYI on the ERPC module. you see it mentioning 3 components on that page, the PLC, the CP, and the devicewise software. I believe the devicewise software is required for the ERPC module to do anything, and it is a separate purchase from a separate company. Might affect your quote if you didn't know what to expect beforehand.

I've also seen the devicewise software run on an IPC, without the CP343 module, not sure which is more efficient.

So, I don't know your exact model of Markem printer.

Typically, printers don't output the print data to anything outside of themselves in my experience however.

What kind of barcode scanner interface is it using? If serial, can you split the output and pull the serial data from the barcode scanner into the PLC/other device, etc?

It sounds to me like something else is also sending data to the printer not only the barcode scanner. Can you confirm this?

Following up on Chud's comment -

What generates the label? Is there a 'base' template stored on the Markem that gets merged w/ data from the barcode scanner?

Does the barcode on the box contain all the information you wish to record? If so, I'd probably use the barcode scanner to 'source' the data.
Here you would have several options to pull that data over to a PLC, Database, whatever.

Agree with all the above, most printers and this one is probably one of those, are just "dumb" machine getting commands from something else.

Dissect the problem first and draw out the comm path and document everything you know about the system; the physical layer (cat 5, twisted pair, etc), the protocol (ascii,etc). Once you get that then we can chime in with better suggestions.

Some of these solutions will depend on how familiar you are with programming computers. Do you have any experience in c#, Vb, python etc?