ArchestrA IDE Licensing Issues

scrambled

Hi all,

I have a test Wonderware Server running in a VM, fully licensed and everything. I took a backup of that VM a few days ago before applying some modifications/updates and then today I ran that backup VM to compare some changes that I did. However, on the backup VM I'm getting complaints about the dev licensing when I open ArchestrA IDE. The error message is saying:

License: Failed to retrieve information from the FS A2 Development license. Either the FS A2 Development license is not available or it has expired.

I checked Invensys Licence Manager and the dev licence is definitely there and its expiry date is June 2017. On the other VM, the licensing setup is identical and ArchestrA IDE opens up with no problem. I've verified on both VM's that the licence server is active (i.e. lmgrd processes are running).

The VM's are also pretty much identical, except the network adapter is disabled and the MAC address is different on the backup VM (to prevent conflicts).

Is there any reason why ArchestrA IDE is not reading the dev licence on the backup VM, despite it being detected in Licence Manager?

Okay, I looked into it a bit more and it seems that the IDE uses a local licence file in ArchestrA.lic, so all that stuff about licence server is irrelevant.

Still, ArchestrA licence manager detects the licence component in both the original VM and the backup VM, yet it appears only the original VM can access the licence when IDE starts up.

Total stab in the dark, but try setting a different IP on the backup and enabling the network adapter again.

It's possible that even though the licensing is local it uses IP address (even if it's just the loopback address) to access the license server.

Just a guess though.

Thanks, I tried what you suggested but unfortunately nothing has changed.

For what it's worth, I performed a status enquiry on the licence server using LMTOOLS and it seems to connect just fine. So it looks like there's no problem with access to the licence server.

I think the issue seems to be ArchestrA IDE not recognizing the local licence as valid for some reason. Is the licensing tied to the machine configuration? Perhaps somehow the backup VM has changed enough that the license is seeing it as a completely different environment?

Not sure if it will help, but the licence component I'm trying to use is called "Dev Studio 2014R2 Unlimited Subscription Demo CONSIGNMENT".

Hmm. I've never really had an issue with licensing before. Have you tried removing the licence, restarting all the WW services and then re-importing the license?

If no luck I'd contact Wonderware tech support

What is the date and time of the backup VM? In the license manager you should also see a path for the license, does this end with wwsuite.lic or archestra.lic?

We upgraded some pc hard drives to solid state and a software package
recognized the hardware change. We had to run a program from the company in order to get a new license issued.

Could be the software is recognizing a change also.
Just a thought.
james

Another thought...
Maybe everything is working just fine. But you only have one Dev license. You can use it on either system, but you can't use it on both at the same time. Try shutting down the "real" system.

The licence file path is Archestra.lic. Date and time of both VM's are the same.

I've tried the above suggestions but unfortunately no luck.

We upgraded some pc hard drives to solid state and a software package
recognized the hardware change. We had to run a program from the company in order to get a new license issued.

Could be the software is recognizing a change also.
Just a thought.
james

I'm inclined to think this is the case. I don't know enough about WW licensing, but I assume each soft licence is tied to a particular hardware environment? I've tried to keep the backup VM identical but maybe that's not enough.

I'll probably have to engage WW support to have any better luck. I'll update with a resolution if I find any.

Last edited:
Ww licenses are basic text files located in the common/archestra/license directory....all you have to do is copy the license into the directory. It's not like rockwell where it keeps track of users or activations. Compare the two directories on the two vm machines to see if they are the same.