Rockwell Automation Addresses Flaws in Programmable Controllers

I'm curious, if someone has access to the network your PLC is on while it is in Remote RUN, and can send packets of information to it... couldn't they also just connect to the controller and straight up modify the program or place the controller in Program mode or something along those lines to be malicious?

I'm curious, if someone has access to the network your PLC is on while it is in Remote RUN, and can send packets of information to it... couldn't they also just connect to the controller and straight up modify the program or place the controller in Program mode or something along those lines to be malicious?

That's not a bug, that's a feature!

(I actually have no idea if you can or not)

Yes, but this is talking about replacing the AB firmware with a malicious one. So basically talking about being malicious in a normal ladder logic program vs. malicious with the bare metal hardware. With the bare hardware, you'd be free to send out packets for your DoS attack much quicker than with something in ladder.

Yes, but this is talking about replacing the AB firmware with a malicious one. So basically talking about being malicious in a normal ladder logic program vs. malicious with the bare metal hardware. With the bare hardware, you'd be free to send out packets for your DoS attack much quicker than with something in ladder.

Oh snap, when they said said "arbitrary code", I thought they meant you could download whatever ladder you want, ignoring password locks. Actual bare metal code execution, that's a doozy.