e.W.O.N and Logix 5000 slow communication

ShacharY

Hi,
Over one year i'm using e.W.O.N to remote and download programs to AB PLCs via Logix 500 (MicroLogic). i have to say this work perfect.

But when i'm trying to remote AB Control or Compact family (5000) using e.W.O.N the hell start.. almost not possible to update routines, view tags, update PID loops and the worst - download take 7-10 Min. 🔨
The Ping is perfect (200-350ms), the internet bandwidth is 100mb.
The e.W.O.N unit & software have the last update. no Firewalls, just pure VPN connection.

I tried to change a lot of parameters and nothing was helpful. local connection work fast but remote is another planet.
I need any idea to make the remote faster. any help will welcome!

VMware - 12 pro (8GB RAM 2 Processors, Win 7 Pro 64Bit)
Studio 5000 - V21.03
Host laptop - i7 32GB RAM Win 7 Pro 64Bit
e.W.O.N Flexy 201

*BTW all the softwares installed inside the VMware.
Thanks! :site:

Last edited:
I have found that the connection is usable but very slow. Especially when going online. It generally takes 5 minutes to connect. I would be terrified to try and download a program.

It didn't use to be a problem until about version 20+.

Sorry I can't help you except to tell you its probably not your setup.

I have found that the connection is usable but very slow. Especially when going online. It generally takes 5 minutes to connect. I would be terrified to try and download a program.

It didn't use to be a problem until about version 20+.

Sorry I can't help you except to tell you its probably not your setup.
I suspecting e.won servers limiting the bandwidth connection.
What sort of ping are you getting if you ping the e.won from your remote laptop.
20-50

I use the e.w.o.n all the time with my machines. Speed is dependent on cellular signal strength.
I have updated software for my plc's and hmi's without issue so far. Automation Direct Do-More PLC's, c-More HMI's.
The only changes I made to make this work for me was to increase the timeouts and the retrys in the programming softwares connection settings.

Last edited:
Hi,
I have some good news. e.W.O.N replied to my issue:
Code:
Dear Shachar,

If the PLC firmware is higher than 21, set your e.W.O.N in TCP mode, also e.C.a.t.h.e.r in TCP. Be sure your e.W.O.N has a recent firmware.

This is due of Rockwell use little packet for the exchange based on send request, receive answer, send next request etc.

If your are in 3G it's your provider who slow down the connection because it probably wait to have bigger packet and after a timeout finally send the little packet from rockwell. In this case unfortunately we can' t do nothing.

Normally we at e.W.O.N headquarter do not offer client support.
The direct client support is performed by our local distributor. They know your projects and the specific settings related to each country.

But here it's really specific.

So I made some little changes according e.W.O.N suggestions:
7qUATRG.jpg

u70qFgT.jpg

Be careful, I made the change remotely and it broke my connection. anyway you need to set the m.2.web again so do it locally.

The results - (tested on WAN card - not 3G) Immediate you can feel the change. Download, Upload and software navigation is much faster.. not as local connection but much better than VPN UDP settings.

looking forward to see comments if it's helpful for others. :site: