Installation of updated Step 7 MicroWIN SP9 on windows 7

PeterLeonard

Hi,

I recently got a laptop to install Step 7 MicroWIN on, its a Windows 7 laptop 64-bit. I have moved the .exe files for the full installation of the program from another machine as it is not possible to install on windows 7 directly or so I've been informed. I have managed to get all of the other parts of the software package up to SP8, ready for upgrade to SP9, awaiting MicroWIN to get there.

However when I try to get the software to the updated version it begins to search for the previous version on the computer and then fails, proceeding to give the error message :

"Unable to locate valid executable for update, you must select the directory where your previous version of Micro/WIN or Micro/DOS is located"

When I do specify where it is it still fails to locate the file.

Before anyone asks, yes I have the full version of the software I was using it earlier however it wouldn't communicate with the PLC and as I understand it this is a common problem of running the XP version on windows 7? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Any chance you can run a VM and install SP8 then upgrade to SP9

That said, I have it running on W7 and it runs fine, I think I have 32bit and 64bit

Straight from the Siemens instructions on the download page for SP8/9:
Entry ID: 58523240

"INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS with a simultaneous change of the operating system

1. On the computer with the executable predecessor version zip the file microwin.exe. You will find it with the standard installation in drive C in the folder:
Program Files\Simatic\STEP 7-MicroWIN V4\bin
2. Copy the packed file to the computer with the new operating system and unpack the file.
3. Start the installation in line with the installation instructions of the relevant Service Pack. "

This has worked for me.