Real remote PLC!

Pierre

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have this project.

10 fuel tanks on top of 10 mountains.

They have power, they have freaking cold conditions. Outside in the great white north. That is Canada!

Soooooo, I will need to manage the fuel usage. Time stamping the user with there individual keys (blue button perhaps) complete with flowmeters, level sensors, temp. and "Secret codes" to check for robberies and leakages.

My question is: Do you have any suggestion on what tu use, RFModem, GSMModem or whatever would work.

Distance is about 15 miles from main panel.

I have used them in the past but in a desert environment. The landscape was easyer to circunvent.

No way tu use CANOpen or hardwire the Datalink.

They may have FiberOptics close by. Will know later.

You might want to look into Westermo. They have the GSM/celluar modems you are suggesting, and they'll be industrial hardened with a wide temperature tolerance. You'll want to make sure that the GSM service is available in that area, of course. I'm a bit wary of using cellular modems in Middle-of-nowhere, Canada.

Will you need bi-directional communication, or can you get by with the remote stations sending data at regular intervals?

I think you'll have more options if you can allow the remotes to blindly transfer data. Not that this is standard practice, but you do have a non-standard situation.

AK

As a 40+ year radio hobbyist, former public safety radio technician and engineer, and control nut...

I would avoid cellular. I am not a fan of GSM, but will be forced to it my next cellphone.

I would recommend a UHF radio link, with a dish or collinear yagi. Line of sight, but antenna's are high gain without a major and several minor lobes. VHF would be more reliable, but not that up on Canadian Radio Regulations.

Have used 30-50 mhz with ground plane antennas for tremendous long distance scada, and had very good results with VHF in the Electric Utility Control and Alarm spectrum.

Try contacting a local Motorola or General Electric (erickson) radio shop, most have several systems in operation.

regards.....casey

Maybe a crazy thought....

How about getting satelite IP service for the remote site and go VPN? Broadband (500+kb) data rates, reliable, and the landscape, lack of cellular service etc.. shouldnt be a problem.

communication options

Options would be Radio frequency or Satellite. You should be able to get a topo map and run the longitude and latitude of the sites to get RF coverage.

Satellite companies would have to be contacted for service in your area. These sites cost a monthly access fee.

Microhard Systems out of Calgary makes a tough Radio modem that is license free.

I have had good luck using DataRadio JSLM radios with 3282 Modems
check www.dataradio.com
Also have use MDS iNet Radios. As for the topo maps... I use DeLorme 3D Topo Quad just enter the longitude and latitude from your GPS then you can look at the whole area in 3D for a pretty good path study.

Good Luck.