1771-ASB series B

CaspianSage

Greetings,

I have a fair amount of experience with PLCs but I could use some help with remote i/o

I have a plc 5/11 and a 5/15 that I am trying to add a 8 slot remote chassis to both. A series b and a series a RIO adapter.

Both adapters Active and Fault lights come on briefly when powering up then go off. Does not matter which adapter I try with either processor. Have configured PLC 5/11 channelA for RIO 57.6 baud rack 3 starting group 0 and set appropriate transfer in/out sources. I have checked and re-checked dip switch settings on adapters and chassis.

Must be missing a dip switch setting but could use help finding out which one(s)

I thank you in advance.

-Caspian

let's take the PLC-5/11 first ...

how have you set the REMOTE chassis DIP switches for the addressing mode? ... two-slot, one-slot, or half-slot? ...

SUGGESTION:

post the precise settings you're using for ALL of the DIP switches - including those on the ASB adapter - and on the local chassis - and on the remote chassis ...

also post your ENTIRE project file (RSP extension) as an attachment to this thread ... you'll have to zip the file before you can post it ... note: if you use a "dropbox" to post the file, some of us here won't open that for security reasons ...

For communications, the 5/11 has only the RS-232 port (Channel 0) and channel 1A which is DH+ by default. If you reconfigure it to RIO scanner, how will you access the PLC for programming / troubleshooting?

For communications, the 5/11 has only the RS-232 port (Channel 0) and channel 1A which is DH+ by default. If you reconfigure it to RIO scanner, how will you access the PLC for programming / troubleshooting?

He can use the serial port. (it's RS232 port)

Last edited:
mike" said:
Actually, that is very simple, in that configuration I use the RS232c port and in spite of the stated limitation of 50' the limitation depends on several factors, I commonly use up 160 feet at 2400 baud with no issues.

let's take the PLC-5/11 first ...

how have you set the REMOTE chassis DIP switches for the addressing mode? ... two-slot, one-slot, or half-slot? ...

SUGGESTION:

post the precise settings you're using for ALL of the DIP switches - including those on the ASB adapter - and on the local chassis - and on the remote chassis ...

also post your ENTIRE project file (RSP extension) as an attachment to this thread ... you'll have to zip the file before you can post it ... note: if you use a "dropbox" to post the file, some of us here won't open that for security reasons ...

I will take another look at the switches but posting the entire program certainly is not neccessary. I will see about putting up a small test routine to assist you with helping me if we first determine that the dip switches are properly set.

Thank you!
-Caspian

So no HMI on the DH+ port.
Troubleshooting a machine at 2400 baud - would be painful, bring back the 1990's! :rolleyes:

Also, let us know the size of the chassis' (local and remote) you are using. Note too that Rack #3 is the last rack # the 5/15 can use. I think the 5/11 is the same but I don't recall off the top of my head.

OG

the reason that we asked for the ENTIRE program is so that we can make sure that there would be no "overlap" of addresses ...

for one simple example: if the local chassis is set up for the equivalent of four "racks" - then there would be no I/O left for the remote chassis ...

also we could recommend how to do an "Auto Configuration" of the remote I/O chassis - to confirm that the DIP switches are actually set the way that they APPEAR to be set ... it's extremely rare - but not unheard of - for these older systems to have a faulty DIP switch contact - so that an apparent setting of "ON" is actually "OFF" ... in order to do an Auto Configuration there needs to be an integer file set up to hold the status ... with the ENTIRE project file before us, we could easily recommend a proper setup for this type of operation - and make sure that an existing file doesn't get used and overwritten by mistake or by misunderstanding ...

and so on ...

but it looks like you've already got a pretty good handle on all of these potential issues - so no need to worry about it ...

please consider coming back when you get finished and letting the forum know the settings and configuration that you finally come up with ... that way other folks might be able to search for - and make use of - this type of information in the future ...

best of luck with it ... peace ...

Last edited:
the reason that we asked for the ENTIRE program is so that we can make sure that there would be no "overlap" of addresses ...

for one simple example: if the local chassis is set up for the equivalent of four "racks" - then there would be no I/O left for the remote chassis ...

also we could recommend how to do an "Auto Configuration" of the remote I/O chassis - to confirm that the DIP switches are actually set the way that they APPEAR to be set ... it's extremely rare - but not unheard of - for these older systems to have a faulty DIP switch contact - so that an apparent setting of "ON" is actually "OFF" ... in order to do an Auto Configuration there needs to be an integer file set up to hold the status ... with the ENTIRE project file before us, we could easily recommend a proper setup for this type of operation - and make sure that an existing file doesn't get used and overwritten by mistake or by misunderstanding ...

and so on ...

but it looks like you've already got a pretty good handle on all of these potential issues - so no need to worry about it ...

please consider coming back when you get finished and letting the forum know the settings and configuration that you finally come up with ... that way other folks might be able to search for - and make use of - this type of information in the future ...

best of luck with it ... peace ...

Very good points Mr. Beaufort, Thank you very much for your constructive suggestions. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to address this for another day or so but if you would kindly give me leave I will respond to you as soon as I have re-checked all of these.

Thank you Sir.

Wow!
The OP provides minimal to no information, and gets a irritated when valid questions are asked.

Why did you post here if not to get advice / and different views?

You still have not provided any of the key information:

1. What size is the local chassis?
2. How are the local chassis dip switches configured?
3. How was the remote chassis switches configured?
4. How is the ASB configured?
5. What cable are you using, did you properly terminate it?

Last edited:
So no HMI on the DH+ port.
Troubleshooting a machine at 2400 baud - would be painful, bring back the 1990's! :rolleyes:

To this issue, Point to Point RS232 communication at 2400 baud is not at all slow with these processors for no more data than is being transfered. I could use 19200 but it is not neccessary. I have been using this method when needed with various equipment since the late 70s. I have developed several methods to communicate peer to peer as well. But Please-- Let us stay On Topic from this point further.

Thank you

Ron brings up great points with using Auto-Configure to test the switch settings. But, with the PLC-5, we really don't need your program. We need the DIP switch settings (all of them) and the chassis sizes. From that, we can tell if you have addressing overlap or other issues. Having the program might help us identify how the local chassis is addressed but it doesn't do much more than that.

Unfortunately the only way to get the switch settings on the remote chassis is to remove power and pull out the adapter. Don't forget the DIP switches on the remote chassis too.

Mike_RH might have gotten into a bit of a huff in the process but he has listed five very important questions. Those are what we need! I would add to number 5, have you checked that blue and clear are connected properly on both ends.

OG

Wow!
The OP provides minimal to no information, and gets a irritated when valid questions are asked.

Why did you post here if not to get advice / and different views?

You still have not provided any of the key information:

1. What size is the local chassis?
2. How are the local chassis dip switches configured?
3. How was the remote chassis switches configured?
4. How is the ASB configured?
5. What cable are you using, did you properly terminate it?

Sir, I am not at all irritated and before anyone misjudges you for an unwarranted outburst I will defend you. After I re-read my initial response to you I realized my choice of phrasing sounded a bit offensive so I deleted that comment but unfortunately not before you saw it.

I have been watching and reading various posts on this board for several years and have appreciated your and everyone else's unselfish contributions and time sacrifice to help others.

It is unfortunate that words cannot be taken back in reality but I can and do ask for your forgiveness.

Sincerely,

Caspian