rotary position indicator

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
On a new machine we're developing, we have a number of stations that have to advance forward a specified distance, then retract. Traditionally we have done this with an air cylinder and a screw/handwheel to adjust the position. For this new machine, I need to find a way to have the adjustment position displayed to the operator (locally), as well as transmitted back to the PLC.

So far, the best solution I've found is this position indicator from Siko. Based on the adjustment set by the operator, the position would be displayed on the readout as well as sent back to the PLC via RS-485.

The problem is, I can't find any other manufacturers who make anything remotely like this. I don't have a problem with Siko but I'd feel more comfortable using something more common. Any other ideas on how to accomplish this? I thought about using a multi-turn encoder and separate readout display, both with some fieldbus option, but we have 8 of these stations and I want to keep the wires under control.

I first considered using electromechanical cylinders instead of pneumatic, which would allow automatic setup of the whole machine, but the boss said too much $$$.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-John

kolyur said:
The problem is, I can't find any other manufacturers who make anything remotely like this. I don't have a problem with Siko but I'd feel more comfortable using something more common. Any other ideas on how to accomplish this?

The Siko products are actually quite common. I never noticed them until we started using them a few years ago, and now I see them everywhere! The Siko stuff is excellent quality, so don't be afraid to try them.

You need local display AND remote reading, so the one you're looking at seems ideal for your application. I think I remember them sending us free samples when we first inquired about them. I doubt they'll send you a free sample of that AP09, but it can't hurt to ask... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric