ATEX area

joaco1993

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all, i have to connect a panel that is located in an atex area. The patchcord that connects this panel to an outside switch should be a normal patchord or there are some ATEX patchcords specially designed for this purpose??

Atex is the European version of the nec 70 rules - articles in the 500's

1. what is the class / division of the hazardous area.
2. you must use rigid conduit and seal offs between the hazardous area and the safe area.
3. power wiring MUST be separate from other conduits and follow guidelines
4. I/o must have a barrier between hazardous and safe area.
5. does the panel need to be pressurized / purged and is it at least a nema 4 rating?
6. does the panel meet the requirements for the hazardous area, ie. chemical reaction and purging / pressurization requirement?
7.you MUST then get with management, safety, engineering, maintenance, and operators to do a risk analysis. this will give you better insight as to what must be done.

EMT is NOT allowed in a hazardous area
Certain types of sealtite conduit and fittings is NOT allowed.

Just trying to cover the bases, don't know your background.

james