EtherCAT on multiple PLCs

Nineplanets

Hi! I was wondering whether it is possible to design the EtherCAT-network in such a way that it is possible to read the EtherCAT-data from several PLCs. That is, still having one PLC to send the EtherCAT master telegram to all EtherCAT slaves, but being able (in some way) to connect one or more additional PLCs to read all the EtherCAT slave data. The reason is that we have some safety critical functions, and I was wondering whether it is possible to implement a basic voting mechanism for several PLCs. But for this to be done, all PLCs need to have the same input.

Is this even possible using EtherCAT? Is there any alternative fieldbus that can fulfill this requirement?

Have a talk to Omron - they are using EtherCAT quite extensively with their new NJ controllers and for motion.

I know you can do Multiple Shared Input on Profinet, so that Multiple PLCs see the data from an IO module. However, I don't know if any safety devices support this.