Kinetix 6000 Replacement

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I'm about to have my first real hands-on experience with a Kinetix 6000. I have an existing 2094-BC01-M01 which is controlled via a SERCOS module on a 1768 Compact Logix. I'm about to replace it with a 2094-BC01-M01-S as the application now requires a safe-torque off function not available on the original drive.

As far as I can tell, the drives are identical except for the presence or absence of the safe stop, so it should just be a matter of setting all of the parameters up the same and setting the node address, and away we go.

Just wondering if anyone who has a little bit of experience with these drives can tell me the easiest way to go about copying the configuration, and if there are any particular traps to watch out for?

Thanks!

Most of the parameters are stored in the axis configuration not the drive. You'll have to delete the drive I believe and add the new one...then just point it to the axis as the old one was.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on that at all? Considering I've not done anything other than wire up a Kinetix before :)

Does this need to be done in Logix, or is there a separate software package for the Kinetix family?

No separate package, everything is done in logix. The drive gets its configuration from the axis. You might have to remove the module from the I/o tree and add the new part number with the safe torque off. Then point it to the original Axis.

/Phone reply

Oh right, I follow now. Thinking about it some more, there's no keypad of any kind on the Kinetix, so it makes perfect sense that the configuration must all come from the PLC šŸ™ƒ

Perfect, thanks for that - I'll have a play around with it next week.

OK, so potential hiccup - the 2094-BC01-M01-S is not available to add to my SERCOS network. Even if I change the processor version to 20 (which is as high as the 1768 CLX can go) it's not available.

Can I download an AOP or something to make it show up? I have every version of Logix 5000/Studio 5000 right up to v30 installed on this machine, so I would have thought if it was just an AOP package, I'd already have it.

Or alternatively, how likely is it that it'll work just the same as long as I set electronic keying to "compatible module"?

I'm seeing the same thing on mine.

I have however made a project on L61 v19 with sercos and 11 BC01 & BM01 using safe torque off without using a special -S from the project tree.

So I reckon its going to work.

For 6000 drives I don't believe there is a differentiation of the non safe torque vs safe torque drive. If you look at the axis tag you'll see the safe off status tags....the only difference is the tag will be populated with values if it is a safe torque drive. The rest of the operation is external to the plc and at the drive level...you won't get to status 4 on the drive without the safe torque circuit reset.

Cool, thanks for that. I put in a call to tech support and they said that it should be a straightforward/seamless swap. The new drive arrives tomorrow (hopefully) so as soon as I have power on the machine I'll have a play with it and report back if I learn anything else useful :)

Just to close off on the post: the new drive eventually arrived, and the changeover process went like this: old drive out, new drive in, press start, machine go.

I wish everything was that easy!

That being said, before we even got to this stage, I did have to upgrade firmware on the 1768-L43, the 1768-SERCOS and the 1768-ENBT for unrelated reasons. PLC and SERCOS to v20, ENBT to v6. So I'll never know if there were going to be any issues with the older firmware and the newer drive.