Device configuration method preferences

Epy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all. For my own amusement mostly, I'm thinking of writing a protocol converter/bridge application for budget Linux-based embedded PCs. The main purpose would be to connect AB Logix PLCs with Modbus RTU/TCP devices, similar to a Prosoft MVI56-MCM, but much much cheaper.

As I think about the program's structure, trying to decide what method(s) to build into it for configuration and was interested in hearing how others prefer to configure devices.

Options:
1. web interface, probably the gold standard
2. configuration in UDT or array in PLC, like Prosoft
3. local configuration with PC via USB and a configuration application
4. remote configuration with PC via network and a configuration application
5. ???

What are your preferences in configuring such devices? The thought of #1 makes me cringe. Leaning towards #3/#4 and making a configuration application, like Crimson 3.

P.S. Yes, I have heard of Node-RED. I don't care for it, JavaScript, Node.js, or anything else branded with "IoT".

Take a close look at the HMS Fieldbus "Communicator" devices and the Digi One IAP for comparison of what I consider the industry leading devices.

The HMS AB7007 model of the serial Communicator uses their "AnyBus Configurator" software, a free utility that configures several of their products. This is in principle similar to Prosoft's Configuration Builder.

The HMS-EN2SE-R module is a newer unit with similar functions, and it uses a Studio 5000 plug-in Add On Profile instead of a standalone utility.

The Digi One IAP is configured using embedded Web pages. They've wisely used very ordinary HTTP and so they don't suffer from obsolescence like Java and Silverlight plugs-ins did.

The GridConnect Modbus/EIP device is even cheaper; to configure it you need to send individual CIP messages from a tool of your own devising (or via PLC messaging) or load a configuration file over TFTP. This sounded like a great idea until I had to do it; I would only do it for a system I was building dozens of and could justify the effort.

It's not hard to be cheaper than the MVI56 series modules; the fact that they pop right into the ControlLogix chassis and have decade-long support life has a lot more to do with their cost than their components.

I don't want to be discouraging, but this is a very well filled market space. I've rattled off four devices without mentioning Prosoft or RTA yet.

For me, a configuration that can be automatically loaded by Studio 5000 (like an AOP, or a Configuration Assembly) is the most appealing because it means I don't have to write another section in the maintenance manual about loading configuration for that device, and I don't have to load another utility onto my support computer.

HTTP web pages are a close second. I just crank through the screenshots.

Dedicated configuration applications tend to help a vendor lock in customers; because I'm conversant with Crimson 3, Anybus Configurator, and Prosoft Configuration Builder, I'm most likely to reach for those vendors.

If there were a software package like this that would run on any Linux computer, I'd be hesitant to use it. There are always the inevitable issues of kernel support, hardware support, package managers, etc. While you might be entirely conversant in Linux, your average automation user's eyes glaze over at "just gzip the tarball".

If this were provided as an SD card to pop into a Raspberry Pi.... I'd consider it.

Thanks for all your comments Ken, will certainly take a look at those devices/software.

> "I don't want to be discouraging, but this is a very well filled market space."
I'm sure. The project will be open-source (probably LGPL license), and so the aim is to give others an alternative option to the usual vendor lock-in choices. The libraries I'll use are already cross-platform, so this could be run on a Windows server for example, or an embedded board, whatever is available. The aim is also to give these libraries more attention, hence increasing their quality.

For embedded devices like the RPi, I'd probably create OS images that could be written to an SD card to take off and go. Not targeting the RPi necessarily, I have a UL listed, DIN rail mount PC I'd like to try this on.

Text based config files, that can be edited by hand or in an IDE. Write plug ins for eclipse or vstudio or notepad++ etc.

Then transfer files how you normally would to a Linux machine.

I like text based as you can compare them in Git, and you are not relying on the vendor to maintain the dev tool past windows XP.

Text based config files, that can be edited by hand or in an IDE. Write plug ins for eclipse or vstudio or notepad++ etc.

Then transfer files how you normally would to a Linux machine.

I like text based as you can compare them in Git, and you are not relying on the vendor to maintain the dev tool past windows XP.

This was going to be my first go-to, as I am that kind of person, but I imagine most users would like graphical interfaces (could make a GUI to make the files and then scp I suppose).