Compact Logix 1769-L33ERMS Network Question

Dustin11H3

Hi All,

I have a safety compact logix PLC. I was wondering if anyone has experience in getting both of the ethernet ports on the device to have 2 different IP addresses (to talk to 2 different networks). From what I found in the user manual, I don't think it is possible without a NAT device, however, I have a co-worker that said it was possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I think your coworker is confusing this with the new 5380 CompactLogix. Those will have the ability to assign unique IP addresses to each port. I believe they are the "5069" part numbers.

Hi All,

I have a safety compact logix PLC. I was wondering if anyone has experience in getting both of the ethernet ports on the device to have 2 different IP addresses (to talk to 2 different networks). From what I found in the user manual, I don't think it is possible without a NAT device, however, I have a co-worker that said it was possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Your co-worker is confusing it with either the older 1768-L4xS series or the newer 5380 CompactLogix PLC.

The new 5380s have two built in ports that can be used in Ring mode (i.e the two ports on the same network) or Standalone mode where both ports have different IP addresses. However there is no Safety Controller available on this platform yet.

With the older 1768-L4xS series it was possible to add 2 ethernet cards to the 1768 bus thus having two different IP addresses. These are still available but they are only capable for controlling Sercos motion and not CIP motion.

If you need CIP motion and safety, then for two different IP addresses you will need either a stand alone NAT or a Managed Switch with NAT capabilities.

Regards
Ian