Thoughts on L7 vs. L8 ControlLogix processors

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
Over the next several years, we will be converting 10-20 PLC5 & SLC processors over to Logix format. We already have a handful of 5570 (L7) series ControlLogix processors in use and I understand that series isn't going away anytime soon.

We tend to shy away from utilizing any initial new/major hardware or software release, so any kinks can (hopefully) get worked out before we buy. For this reason, the 5580 (L8) series processors have not been on our radar. But since they've been out for over a year now, I'd like to get some feedback from those who've used them regarding reliability, pros/cons, issues, etc. Likewise, if there are features on the L8 that make it lights out compared to the L7, please tell.

The bottom line is that at some point we'll probably pull the trigger on using the 5580 series. I could use some help to decide whether that time is sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance.

The L8x processors include a local Ethernet port, possibly saving you the cost of an EN2T and reducing necessary spare parts.

They're also barely more expensive than the L7 series. L71 is $5860 right now before discounts, whereas the L8 is $5935. L8 series, being newer, has a longer shelf life than the 7s. And it's CLGX so quality isn't really a concern with the "newer" versioned 8x.

That alone is a huge bonus in our book. Number of connections available on the L8xs is decent enough, too, depending on number of connected devices and whatnots.

I would look at the new Compactlogix x8 series. Probably a lot less $ than the full logix processors. Proposal-Work got the list price.

+1 on the Compact Logix. I can't see you needing a ControlLogix for you conversions unless you are re-writing everything too.

If you have to go ControlLogix I'd say go w/the L8's however I am pretty sure the minimum firmware is v28. So you might have to look at all the other systems and software you have in place to ensure going to v28 doesn't cause you problems elsewhere. Thinking RSLinx, RSNetworks...etc.

Hmm. The CompactLogix 5380 hadn't crossed my mind. Guess I'll have to see what the specs are. How long have those been out & have you actually used them?

Hmm. The CompactLogix 5380 hadn't crossed my mind. Guess I'll have to see what the specs are. How long have those been out & have you actually used them?

Using one on a small project now. So far, everything is really sweet!

Tried to talk another customer into an L8 for his project, but he won't go with anything that doesn't support V26, simply because his laptop slows down above that.