Smtp structured text

Cellularscada

Allen Bradley micro800 user defined function block. I have no experience with structured text language in AB Plc's. I downloaded the user defined function block ( UDFB) for smtp client from RA sample web site. Nice function block but it for internal email server only. Their no variables for username or password to be able to connect to an external email server. I need help finding someone that could rewrite the structured text code to incorporate the username and password to UDFB.

That's because it will not work with email servers that require "Authentication".

I think it will be much more involved then just adding username and password to the "Structured Text" and one reason is email servers that require authentication usually use different ports and SSL protocol.

So all of that would have to be incorporated also.

I have multiple plc's in the field Ml1100, ML1400, and compactlogix that send email for alarm noticification that on port 25 that uses authentication.

But the Micro800 will not send "Authenticated" emails. I believe that on the RA Support page where the "UDFB" was downloaded, in the notes it states can't use "Authentication".

The ML1100, ML1400, Compactlogix, they are from a different family of PLC's, and YES they will send emails using an "Authenticated Email Server", but the Micro800 family will NOT!!

When back an read the tech note at sample code download it only replied that UDFB would only work with an internal server which to me that mean the UDFB was to design to not use authentication. It does not mean that it will not support authentication. The reason for that 90% of people using the UDFB will have internal email server they can use. But for the work I do most of time the customer does have there own email server, so I have bounce the email off an internet base email service that requires authentication. This is me just thinking is that the micro800 can support smtp it got be able to support authentication...
I think have fix without using the UDFB anyways.

If you do have a solution, you should share with this forum, as I am sure there would be several that could benefit from this improvement. I would be one of them!!

Thanks.

This is an old thread, but does anyone know if the micro800 can send email from gmail for example ?? because I have read in the technotes that this UDFB only support unsecured connections, and gmail requires secured connection..

Is there another method to send emails from gmail with micro800 ??

Thanks!!

This is an old thread, but does anyone know if the micro800 can send email from gmail for example ?? because I have read in the technotes that this UDFB only support unsecured connections, and gmail requires secured connection..

Is there another method to send emails from gmail with micro800 ??

Thanks!!

The Function block does now support "Authentication" !

So - Yes, you can use GAMIL.

Please Note: In the future, GMAIL is NOT going to support SSL/TLS!

Do you have a reference link?

If you are using "GMAIL" they will send you a notification as to when the change is near!

About 6 months ago they told me it was about 18 months out!

So needless to say I started changing all of my accounts that involved gmail.

I have completed this task!

Please Note: In the future, GMAIL is NOT going to support SSL/TLS!

About 6 months ago they told me it was about 18 months out!

I find no data Gmail is ending the usage of TLS. I find many references, as recent as April 2020, that Gmail requires TLS.

So needless to say I started changing all of my accounts that involved gmail.

Changing the account, how?

I am confused. Can you help clear the confusion?

I did use GMAIL as a EMAIL RELAY SERVER - I have 100's of remote cellular device's all over the US, they all sent alarm messages out using GMAIL.

About 6 months back I got an email from my GMAIL account telling me that sometime in 2021 they were going to stop providing "SSL/TLS" protocols for their "Authenticated" email service, and I should find an alternative solution.

So, my company just switched to Office365 and I setup all of my remotes to use Office365. I like this better because my emails(alarms) now come from our own domain.

Now, maybe GMAIL has changed this, I don't know, but I have already made my change and now I don't have to worry about it.