FactoryTalk SE - Client Diagnostic List

NikkoSuave

Hello Everybody,

I am working with Factory Talk Se 8.1. We have a terminal server that about 55 clients remote desktop to and run their factory talk client from there.

My issue deals with the diagnostic list that at the bottoms of the Factory Talk clients. We are using right now for debugging our project while running the clients. On several occasions, we have had a loop of errors on one of the clients that we did not know was happening. A few hours later when we do find out this is occurring, we shut down the client that it is happening on and do whatever we need to do to fix it. However, the diagnostic list will be so backed up with errors that the same loop of errors will keep coming through until it catches up, which sometimes can take an hours. During this time, no new errors or information will be sent to diagnostic list until all of the old errors have caught up and been displayed in the list.

Is there a way to purge this queue and erase these old errors so they stop coming in?

I called tech support, they did not know a way. The clear and clear all on the diagnostic list only delete the errors and information that is currently in the list, so it will continue to fill after clicking either. And I tried clearing the diagnostic viewer.

Has anyone ran into this and figured out a way?

Hello Everybody,

I am working with Factory Talk Se 8.1. We have a terminal server that about 55 clients remote desktop to and run their factory talk client from there.

My issue deals with the diagnostic list that at the bottoms of the Factory Talk clients. We are using right now for debugging our project while running the clients. On several occasions, we have had a loop of errors on one of the clients that we did not know was happening. A few hours later when we do find out this is occurring, we shut down the client that it is happening on and do whatever we need to do to fix it. However, the diagnostic list will be so backed up with errors that the same loop of errors will keep coming through until it catches up, which sometimes can take an hours. During this time, no new errors or information will be sent to diagnostic list until all of the old errors have caught up and been displayed in the list.

Is there a way to purge this queue and erase these old errors so they stop coming in?

I called tech support, they did not know a way. The clear and clear all on the diagnostic list only delete the errors and information that is currently in the list, so it will continue to fill after clicking either. And I tried clearing the diagnostic viewer.

Has anyone ran into this and figured out a way?

Odd, you called (RA?) tech support and they did not know a way... anyways
You did not specify how your FT Diagnostic was set up so I will assume your client is running the (local) diagnostics. The default FT Diagnostics is located in C:\windows\system32\WinEvt\Logs\FTDiag.Evtx

You can view it with Windows Events View, just double click the file.

To clean/clear it you need to run windows Component Services and navigate to Applications and Services Logs then select FactoryTalk Diagnostics after it loads on the right side of the windows under Actions you can select Clear Log...

That should be about it. Hope it helps

Thanks KuulKuum for the reply.

First, I know that the diagnostic viewer's settings can be changed, but I did not know that the diagnostic list's setting could be changed. Right now, the diagnostic list shows any error or command that is ran on the terminal server, no matter the user. So, if I pressed a button that set a tag on what client, I could see that on any other client's diagnostic list that was on that terminal server.

Second, I forgot to mention I already tried clearing the log with that steps you mentioned. It is the same result as the clear all button on the diagnostic list or the clear button in the diagnostic viewer. It will delete all the errors that are in that list, but the errors that are backed up will continue to be placed in the diagnostic list.

This really creates a problem when I am trying to debug the error after it happens, but I am getting all of the backed errors filling the diagnostic list.