Omron CP1E RS485 Serial Comm Settings

Thor Hammer

So I have never setup serial communications before. I am new to this so go easy on me.

I have an Omron CP1EN40S1DR-A with built in RS485 port. I need to send and receive commands with a Thermoscientific Recirculation/Chiller bath. The communications protocol in the Chiller manual is listed as NC Serial Communications. All data is sent in Hex.

I believe I would set my PLC to communicate in No Protocol mode but this option is not available in the pull down list on the Serial Options Port tab. I don't know what settings to use. I have been through the CP1E manuals and all it shows is RS232 and Modbus Easy Master.

Any help greatly appreciated. And or programming examples. I am a bit lost.

The built in port is RS232.

You would need a serial option port (CP1W-CIF11) for RS485.

You would set the port to RS-232C, which is No Protocol mode.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply. The PLC I purchased has RS485 built in. For whatever reason when I open the settings serial option tab "No Protocol" is missing from the drop down list. Any idea why this would be? I have selected CP1E as my PLC type.

IMG_20170209_084142246.jpg

Well according to the manual over and over it lists no-protocol mode for RS232 or RS485.

Just as well, whether I select the RS232 tab or Serial Option Port tab the "No Protocol" mode is not in the drop down list.

I don't use the CP1E series, so missed that they offer a unit with two built in ports.

The protocol thing is confusing.
RS-232C is indicating serial communication with no protocol.
Use this for barcode readers, printers, etc.

Guessing that since the "S1" option is not an available selection for PLC type, they are using generic terminology for the second port.

Hope this helps.