Quick Panel (TCP Model) Upload

Hello All,

I have an older Total Control Quick Panel QPI2D100L2P 10.4 inch Monochrome that I am trying to retrieve the program on. The original programmer is unknown and we do not have a copy of the program. The screen has gone out on this panel.

I am using quickdesigner on an XP virtual machine. I have the correct programming cable the 8 pin DIN connector HMI-CAB-C49-J

When I connect to the HMI, The software "sees" that the HMI is connected and says "waiting for the Display to be ready" then times out and tells me "the display is Hung" and another message "Turn display OFF" when I turn it off the software gives me the message "Turn Display ON" then when I turn it on, the software goes to "waiting for the Display device to be ready" and just sit there. Nothing more. I have waited for 20 mins for it to progress and nothing.

At first I thought maybe the Panel that I am working on is just bad. However I get the same indications on another, same model, quick panel that IS working just fine.

I know this is older stuff. And ProFace Support (who took over making the replacements from TCP) wont support using quick designer on anything other than a Win 2K machine or older.

Anyone have experience with these panels?

The original programmer had the option of allowing the end user to retrieve the project from the QP. If he only downloaded the compiled runtime to the HMI there is nothing for you to upload. I don't know whether or not an attempt to upload without the correct project file being present results in the problems you're encountering. The Quick Designer manual I have only says, "The project file must have been saved with the downloaded file, otherwise an error message will appear."

Steve Bailey, Thank You. That is what I have been thinking. However, since the Support guys at ProFace dont seem to think that is the case, I am building a Win2K VM now in order to hopefully get on the page with them and get this downloaded. I really dont want to have to rebuild this program, seeing as how the PLC is a Simatic 505 and the copy of the program that I have is .... wait for it .... Not commented. So I am going to have to hand over hand the I/O since the I/O list and the drawing both dont match the first 3 inputs that I checked by hand. I love being a PLC guy. Just love it.

On older stuff like that, if possible, run the communications through a real serial port rather than a USB/serial converter.
It is also possible that the files in the HMI are incompatible with the version of Quick Designer you're working with. Obviously an old version of QD will have problems with a project that was saved with a newer version. But I seem to remember that files created with some of the very old releases of QD were incompatible with later releases.

Have you tried slowing down the transfer rate? I seem to remember having a similar issue that slowing down the transfer rate solved. That was many moons ago so I may be dreaming.

Also, Not sure what type of serial port you are using but you may want to try a few different brands.

Also, what location are you working on? Ive worked all around the gulf and may know someone who has or did the programming.

Last edited:
On older stuff like that, if possible, run the communications through a real serial port rather than a USB/serial converter.
It is also possible that the files in the HMI are incompatible with the version of Quick Designer you're working with. Obviously an old version of QD will have problems with a project that was saved with a newer version. But I seem to remember that files created with some of the very old releases of QD were incompatible with later releases.

Steve Bailey, That was one of the first things that I did when It was not working, change from my USB / RS232 over to the physical port. It took some doing with being on a VM but I found the way to do it and get the same indications when using either a USB converter, or the physical 232 port. The guys at proface might have some older versions I can try, I will give that a shot.

Have you tried slowing down the transfer rate? I seem to remember having a similar issue that slowing down the transfer rate solved. That was many moons ago so I may be dreaming.

Also, Not sure what type of serial port you are using but you may want to try a few different brands.

Also, what location are you working on? Ive worked all around the gulf and may know someone who has or did the programming.

diat150, I saw that in the manual it mentions that all of the ports are configured for 9600 baud. So that is what I was setting my port too. The proface america guys pointed out that the software is configured from a .INI file in the Quick directory, which I changed to match the 9600. That gave the same indications, then I changed both the .INI AND the port config to the 38400 baud that the software .INI file was using before I modified it.

But now that I am thinking about it, I did all of that changing around with using the USB to 232 converter. I only tried it at 38400 once I got the physical port working. I am going to try using slower speeds even down to 4800 now that i have the physical port working with my XP VM.

I am working on the Cooper 9390 Compressor at South Marsh Island 239D. It used to be a Texaco platform, then was an EPL property, now acquired by Energy XXI when they bought EPL. If you know anyone that might know ANYTHING that would be a HUGE help.