Would like to use FactoryTalk View to create a 75" LED screen HMI. Any advice ?

Rob S.

Good Evening ,

I would like to develop a large HMI to display information in our mixing room. I was thinking of using a large LED screen , possibly a 75" screen. I was going to use FactoryTalk View to develop this. When developing this , would I use the custom sizing ? What is a good brand and model to use for a display like this ? Also , this screen would be about 10' to 12' high. What would be the best method to change screens ? I imagine still a wireless mouse , or possibly a remote ?

Thanks so much for your advice ,

Just use a brick PC with an HDMI connection to a standard big screen TV. Use the mouse to navigate screens like any other hmi. Rez of a TV is 1920 x 1080 so just develop the app in that resolution.

Last edited:
I think the point to be considered is the fact that this display will need to be powered on along time 24/7, so you need to look for an industrial display. The resolution topic is the most easy to solve.

Also consider screen burn-in - make sure you set the PC up with a screen saver!

But yes, nice and easy - develop it at 1920x1080 and use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard (or one of those combo keyboard/touchpad units)

We just bought a Samsung KU6300 UHDTV to replace the projector in one of our conference rooms. It's just under 70" diagonal and has "4K" resolution, 3840 x 2160.

You can set that up as the custom screen size in FTView Studio, but you'll be scrolling around and zooming in and out to do your development.

They haven't let me put an industrial HMI on the conference room TV yet.

One of my clients uses large format TVs extensively for production schedule displays with their own in-house webserver and simple Win7 PCs connected to the displays. They don't do any special protection for them, but the environment (composite fabrication) is very clean to begin with.

Thanks for all your advice. I took notice it is somewhat a wash down area. If I made a plexiglass cover for it , would glare be a problem ? It seems like that would effect the side view . Also , good point about "burn in " . What if I used a timer and toggled thru the screens like a slideshow. Would that mimic a screensaver ?

Thanks again.

I plan on doing something similar with a Raspberry Pi or something web-based but with restricted acces (aka just local access), I know its not PLC or Industry standars but I am curious and is something that I also know how to code

Thanks for all your advice. I took notice it is somewhat a wash down area. If I made a plexiglass cover for it , would glare be a problem ? It seems like that would effect the side view . Also , good point about "burn in " . What if I used a timer and toggled thru the screens like a slideshow. Would that mimic a screensaver ?

Thanks again.

Glare could be an issues, but there are films you can put over the plexi. My concern would be the "somewhat wash down area." You will want an enclouser that will withstand the maximum psi of what ever they are using for wash down at a distance of 1/2". I can almost guarantee it will need it.

Bubba.

Glare could be an issues, but there are films you can put over the plexi. My concern would be the "somewhat wash down area." You will want an enclouser that will withstand the maximum psi of what ever they are using for wash down at a distance of 1/2". I can almost guarantee it will need it.

Bubba.

+1.

When I was an apprentice I remember being told "the job interview for this machine is just a test where they give the applicant a high pressure hose and an IP67 electrical enclosure. If they can get water into the electrical enclosure, they get the job".

That was when I noticed that every j-box within 50 feet of the machine was sealed up with about an inch of tar ;)