RSLogix 5000/Logix Designer - WTF

All,

Please help. I'm reaching the end of my rope with this thing... I can find tech notes galore on fatal errors with logix 5000 for everything BUT the problem I am experiencing. Software fires up fine - I can open projects, go online - no problem. Every time I go to Tools > Options I instantly get a fatal application error 0xc015000f. Same thing if I go to Motion Direct Commands (With a project open). This is a new install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I also had the same problem in Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. At first I tried installing the latest version of RSLinx first so I would have the latest and greatest FT services platform, etc., then loaded all my logix and FTVS software. Bust. Blew away Windows install, started over. Loaded slightly older platform from RSLinx, etc. Bust. Updated to current MS .Net Framework, Adobe Flash Activex plugin, DC Reader (Research shows this affects how Logix works/displays things). Bust. What am I missing here?! I have here at work another laptop with the same OS/software/versions and everything on it works just fine. What else can affect this that I might be overlooking? ANY suggestions are more than welcome as my knowledge is limited. Please help! Thanks for reading!

Have you tried setting user account control to the lowest setting and setting logix5000.exe to run as administrator?

Have you tried setting user account control to the lowest setting and setting logix5000.exe to run as administrator?

Thanks for reading. I have tried that - first thing. I tried right clicking and running as admin, I tried going to each version and setting it to run as admin in the compatability tab under properties and my user account is set as an administrator. Running as Admin seems to solve most problems for Logix (in my experience anyway) but it didn't solve this one.

Capture1.JPG

Googling "rslogix 0xc015000f error" brought up plenty of results from this site about that issue. First result talks about a windows update that causes it, 2nd result is a Rockwell technote about it.

🔨

I remember that thread! From that thread:

These software products access the libraries within Microsoft .NET Framework for various reasons and different RSLogix 5000 versions have historically used different versions of Microsoft .NET Framework over the years. This is why, on a machine with several RSLogix 5000 versions installed, you will see several versions of Microsoft .NET Framework installed.

RSLogix 5000 version 20 uses Microsoft .NET Framework v4.0

...whereas...

RSLogix 5000 version 19 uses Microsoft .NET Framework v3.5.

This is why the likely Microsoft .NET Framework v4.0 issue with RSLogix 5000 v20 is not affecting RSLogix 5000 v19.

One such issue could be...

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is not supported with RSLogix 5000 v20 and it may generate Fatal Errors with just the Client Profile installed. Both the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and Extended must be installed.

I had .Net Framework 4.6.2 installed (latest available, i believe). I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling 4.6.1 (which is the version installed on another PC in the shop here with everything working correctly). Still no good. Every version of Logix 5000 gives me the same outcome. Studio version 21 goes straight to the error, whereas v23 will actually open the options window, let you click on one topic and then freeze. Open task manager, kill the task and THEN get your error message. Again, I have tried running as administrator still with no luck. If Logix 5000 and Studio both have the same issues, both using different versions of the .Net Framework, is there something else that may be common to the both of them? And what would the 'Extended' be considered? Is that the SDK?

I really don't want to call Rockwell over this, costs me at least an hour of my time and lots o' frustration from bad communication/language barriers. That's a rant for another day though.

I have also gone to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates > Turn Windows features on or off and turned on all the same features as our other working laptop. Still a bust. Any other ideas?

Capture3.jpg

Last edited:
As much effort as you've spent at this point contact rockwell....as technical support goes I've found rockwell to be some of the best. Occasionally you get someone reading from a manual but ask to escalate to a senior tech if needed. They've helped me greatly in the past on some really complex issues across multiple platforms.