Schneider HMI GTO Log-in method

Pollard

Hi all. I'm currently working to replace our own, bespoke, touchscreen control system with a Schneider M251 and HMI GTO. I have been asked if I can replicate the original log-in method used on the original systems.
The log-in consisted of a pop-up numeric keypad only. The user entered a code of between 4 and 7 digits and then pressed enter. As long as the code was valid, the user was then logged in at a level that corresponded with the particular code. Though not all used, we had codes for levels 1 through 9 (9 being the highest and longest code).
It’s not the most secure log-in method but it doesn’t have to be, we use it solely to prevent operators changing settings (none of which are critical on the current project).
I presume I need to build a string from the entered characters and compare the string with one that is stored (possibly in the PLC?). If the entered string matches a stored code then the log-in level is returned. If there is no match, the user is returned to the previous screen.
Scripting is not one of my strong points (its probably my weakest!!).
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ian

Hi all. I'm currently working to replace our own, bespoke, touchscreen control system with a Schneider M251 and HMI GTO. I have been asked if I can replicate the original log-in method used on the original systems.
The log-in consisted of a pop-up numeric keypad only. The user entered a code of between 4 and 7 digits and then pressed enter. As long as the code was valid, the user was then logged in at a level that corresponded with the particular code. Though not all used, we had codes for levels 1 through 9 (9 being the highest and longest code).
It’s not the most secure log-in method but it doesn’t have to be, we use it solely to prevent operators changing settings (none of which are critical on the current project).
I presume I need to build a string from the entered characters and compare the string with one that is stored (possibly in the PLC?). If the entered string matches a stored code then the log-in level is returned. If there is no match, the user is returned to the previous screen.
Scripting is not one of my strong points (its probably my weakest!!).
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ian

The GTO's have built in security functions which take the overhead off rolling your own, it works pretty much as you described apart form you need a username, have you looked at the built in security to see if it will work for you ?

If you want to do it as described you will just need to store the number in a variable and compare it int he PLC then set bit to enable access where required, you shouldn't need to build a string manually anywhere.

The GTO's have built in security functions which take the overhead off rolling your own, it works pretty much as you described apart form you need a username, have you looked at the built in security to see if it will work for you ?

If you want to do it as described you will just need to store the number in a variable and compare it int he PLC then set bit to enable access where required, you shouldn't need to build a string manually anywhere.

I need to get away from the requirement to enter a user name as this is viewed as an unnecessary additional step. We have a significant number of older products installed at customers worldwide that are still in use and the new version needs to replicate the old interface as faithfully as possible.

There is at least couple ways, how you can maybe do this:

1. build in security, needs user name and password
2. use build in security with script. Script can log user in and out. (look system script help files). Log user in if password is right number and off is enought inactivity.
3. Use integer variable on PLC and compare password on PLC to saved numbers. You can change HMI pages from PLC. (needs PLC progrmming to old equipments.)

4. use HMI internal variable to save entered password. Then make button named login below password field.
On login button make several decision operations and lastly zero entered password.
If password is right go to different HMI pages (panel -> change panel ID). Every #user level" needs different pages on HMI.
Again if inactive certain time -> go to enter password page. (going to password screen probably needs script, if yo want to do everything on panel, without PLC)

I would maybe try method 2, 3. or 4.

Last edited: