IP Ratings required for enclosure outside ?

We need to put an enclosure outside and don't do much exterior stuff.

Am i right in thinking IP55 is what we need as a minimum, its just a PLC cabinet for a compound so really only needs to be protected from rain, nothing out of the ordinary so no special protection required from jet washing or dust etc.

Cheers

Outdoors is usually Nema 3R. Here's a cross reference chart. http://www.siemon.com/us/standards/nema_comparison.asp

Looks like its IP14 if you only need moisture protection, IP54 if there is blowing dust. Generally speaking for outdoors stainless enclosures are best.

Cheers, IP55 are readily available from our supplier so will go with that, these are temporary and will be getting taken out in around 18 months time so powder coat should suffice

I presume anti condensation heaters will be required ?

Regular electrical material in buildings mounted outside are mostly IP44 but most industrial enclosures are already higher

2nd Rittal and IP66. Unless it's a special situation I've always done NEMA 4 / IP66 as a minimum.

One note on "outdoor / rain tight" vs "water tight / hose down"

Yes, water tight / hose down is better in terms of EXCLUDING water, but (over here anyway) outdoor use also often requires that INTERNAL CONDENSATION be allowed to drain from the enclosure. That's going to require a "weep hole" of some sort, which then conflicts with the concepts of water tight and hose down.

One note on "outdoor / rain tight" vs "water tight / hose down"

Yes, water tight / hose down is better in terms of EXCLUDING water, but (over here anyway) outdoor use also often requires that INTERNAL CONDENSATION be allowed to drain from the enclosure. That's going to require a "weep hole" of some sort, which then conflicts with the concepts of water tight and hose down.

you need to use a drain plug

http://www.sustainablesupply.com/Ap...-77504374399&gclid=CKi9x6L8ktICFQsKaQodICsKow