Factory Talk and Micrologix 1500

Oompas

Im looking to design a system to monitor the status of a paint line conveyor for displaying downtime. Im looking at using a Factory talk application, I have used the program at school previously using a AB SLC 504. But a SLC 504 is very much overkill for what i need. Im looking to use a AB Micrologix 1500 with a computer loaded with factory talk. Will the ethernet expansion module that is available for the 1500 work in that way or is it just for programming?

Take a look at the 1400. It does online programming and has built in Ethernet for communications.

Will the 1400 be able to communicate with FactoryTalk?
On an additional note, I see on the FactoryTalk website that there is alot of different programs with all kinds of different technical specs. Which one would be best for me?

Yes, the ML1400 can work w/ FactoryTalk View ME or SE.

For HMI/SCADA applications - You will be looking at the FactoryTalk View line.

ME (Machine Edition) is designed for standalone HMI style applications, This is what their Panelview Plus line runs.

SE (Site Edition) is usually used for larger applications, distributed applications, or applications where you need to do data collection, print to alarm printers, etc. Costs more.

Note - You don't *need* to use FactoryTalk View to talk to your ML1400.

Most of the HMI/SCADA software packages will work for this from multiple vendors.

in prevous experiances ive found problems with using anything newer then windows XP when it comes to RSLogix500. the FactoryTalk ME program seems to need Win7 or Win8. Is there any issue with using RSLogix500 with newer windows?

in prevous experiances ive found problems with using anything newer then windows XP when it comes to RSLogix500. the FactoryTalk ME program seems to need Win7 or Win8. Is there any issue with using RSLogix500 with newer windows?

Rs500 version 9.00 works with both Win7 and Xp.
If you want Win8 support, you'll want to go up to version 10.0

I have been using RSLogix 500 9.05 since it was made available, using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and even for awhile on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Never came accross any issues with either. Only protocols that I use are Ethernet and RS-232 (with a usb adapter, lack of built in serial port). Just went back to 7 for unrelated reasons.