Ab 1769-ascii xon/xoff

Addohm

I'm using a 1769-ASCII and need help with one part of it. I have no issues with sending data. The manufacturer shows the following as the process...

ascii_process.PNG

My question is: how do I evaluate the XON\XOFF? The machine states "This communication protocol tells the status if it can receive any data or not to the host by sending "XON" (HEX 11H) or
"XOFF" (HEX 13H) to the signal line." I never receive any data so I'm not sure what's wrong or if what I'm doing is correct. The link will lead you to the sample code from AB's website which is what I based my code off of.

http://search.rockwellautomation.com/search?client=samplecode&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=samplecode&site=sample_code&getfields=*&lang=en&hl=en&sort=date:D:L:d1&wc=200&wc_mc=1&ud=1&filter=0&q=ASCII