Siemens S5 Operation

arthur.hauer

Hi all!

Recently I got my hands on an old S5-95U code. After some time reading it, I found an operation the CPU manual simply doesn't mention: ":F". By the looks of it, I'd say it's a division operation, but I also know that in order to multiply and divide one needs to call the respective function blocks.
Does anyone have information regarding this operation?

Att.,
Arthur

The higher-end S5 cpus had native instructions for floating point math.
I think for example 928B and 945 CPUs could do this.
Lower-end CPUs needed to call function blocks to do math, even for integer math.

That makes sense. I actually didn't account for CPU specific capabilites.
Thanks a lot Jesper! Sorry for the (very) late reply...

Att.,
Arthur

For future reference:

The :F operation corresponds to division, and can only be used in 32 bit CPUs.
Division or multiplication in 16 bit CPU require the use of FBs.