Safe shutdown of Simatic Process Historian

cardosocea

Hello Gents,

In one of our plants, the UPS is nearly dead and due to budget constraints, the UPS we are getting is not going to be big. So I am looking at a way to programmatically shut down the servers if the UPS drops below a certain point.

Looking in the Siemens website, I found that there is a fairly well described process to do this on WinCC servers and I already have this up and running.

However, there is no such thing for the Historian application. From what I read, Microsoft SQL server is fairly nice at shutting down cleanly when shutting down the server normally, but considering that Siemens shut down procedure stipulates that the historian software be shut down before stopping the computer leaves me a bit nervous in doing so. Especially considering that I don't have hardware where to test this on.

Do any of you had experience on this before?

Also, I looked into the hard drive cache as this is one of the points mentioned around the internet as the reason for data corruption on power loss and found that the RAID controller and Windows settings seem to be inconsistent.

What do you guys think?

DhmPDMD.png

Image Link

Last edited: