Temperature sensing

MervinXF

Hey, I'm currently using an ABB AC 31 40 series PLC and i would like to measure a temperature between 45-50 degree celsius. Please do recommend a suitable sensor which can be connected to the digital input side of the PLC.

A temperature switch will tell whether you are above or below the setpoint, a switch is likely to be more expensive than getting an RTD input card and an RTD sensor, which will give you accurate analog measurment values.

Last edited:
Do you have a particular temp switch in mind? When the temperature reaches 45°C the PLC should read this input and then produce an output to start a heating coil.

Do you have a particular temp switch in mind? When the temperature reaches 45°C the PLC should read this input and then produce an output to start a heating coil.

See my edited post above.

A switch is not going to give you a temperature reading just a on/off at a given temperature set point.

When the temperature reaches 45°C the PLC should read this input and then produce an output to start a heating coil.
That describes the functionality of a temperature switch, thermostat or a temperature controller.

Why use a PLC to do what a stand-alone temperature seitch will do? For that matter, a single loop temperature controller with an RTD input is probably less expensive than an RTD input card and it's got its own HMI built-in.