RS232 Light on CPU Off

pmudhar

Hello all,

I'm running an SLC 5/03 CPU connected to a laptop via DH485 for programming which is working correctly (CPU light is on), however the RS232 connected to our PC for our HMI isn't working (CPU light is off).

We just reinstalled all our programs on a new hard drive on the PC so I'm wondering what I have to initialize to get communication working again (on the PC or the PLC).

Regards,

pmudhar

DSC_2938.jpg

That would depend on how the serial port is configured. If you have the offline program for your SLC, take a look at how the serial port is set-up (channel 0). Default is DF1 protocol. If you need help with that post the .RSS file (zip it first). You can then set-up RSLinx correctly.

What cables and or hardware are you using to get connected?

See link for some how to videos depending on the hardware, cables and protocol you have.

http://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

What HMI software are you running on your PC?

Last edited:
Hello Mickey,

Thanks for your quick reply!

RSLogix is the programming software which is running on the laptop correctly (using DH485). In terms of cables and hardware, I have a RS232 connection to the serial port of our PC which is running a custom HMI executable on IBM OS/2 Warp 4.

The software to make the connection is in a folder, SLC500, which contains numerous files one being setup.exe which contains the APS (advanced programming software) Maintenance Program. Here I can set the protocol DH+ (not available of SLC 5/03), PIC, or DF1 on COM1, COM2 or Inactive, I've tried all combination without communication success.

I can also create an APS group or verify installation directories (these are correct), don't know if this will help however.

Not sure what you mean by "DH485 for programming which is working correctly (CPU light is on)," You mean you can go online with RSlogix 500 and a PIC box?

Sounds like you broke some driver connection to your HMI. What is the HMI software and what driver are you using?

"custom HMI .. OS/2 Warp 4"

wow, job security for "that guy" until s/he dies or retired. Seriously, Junk it. Get one of the cheap/free HMI to replace it.

We need to know how the serial port in your SLC is set-up (channel 0). Take a look at the RSLogix500 offline program.

Null-modem cable to the PC?

Mickey:

The RSLogix500 program is included here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8pxfcsse8xpwko/6. ACCUMULATOR_CHECK_VALVE.RSS.zip?dl=0

As well as the system communication screen which shows how RSLogix is connected to the PLC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4pjk631awv3kwn/system communication.bmp?dl=0

We are running a null-modem cable to the PC but it is not on channel 0 (SERIAL_0 Serial Port Controller) I'll set as such and try it out. I've also attached a picture of the PC hardware for reference if you notice anything out of place: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ti0zoflkbmqoda/PC_HARDWARE.JPG?dl=0. Thank you so much for the help and if I've miss interpreted anything please let me know!

harryting:

Yes you are correct, I can go online with RSlogix 500. In terms of drivers I can use for the non-functioning PC when on the APS Installation Maintenance Program I have DH+ (not available of SLC 5/03), PIC, or DF1 on COM1, COM2 or Inactive, I've tried all combination without communication success.

I fixed up the mechanical, electrical, control systems, and PLC code for automation of this machine. The next step is a newer HMI and OS but I have to get it running again first.

The channel 0 I was referring to is the serial port on your SLC5/03.

See picture for how the SLC's serial is configured. (DF1 protocol)

I am not familiar with your PC's software so no help there from me.

slcserialport.png

Don't just drop a 'nevermind' on the forum.

It's not just worthless to somebody who has a similar problem (though Warp OS was used by a tiny handful of automation companies), it's insulting to the people who took time to try to explain the issues and technologies to you.