Hooking up with RS232

Lupa67

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys, I'm a student starting to study PLC programming and in the class that I am in we don't really get into hooking up to a PLC using an RS232 or any of the older style hook ups other then an Ethernet. So my question is is there any easy way or recommended way to go about communicating with the PLC using an RS232? The times that I have seen it done or seen an RS232 that biggest and longest part is getting communication. Any recommendations or information would be much appreciated.

Helpful Tips/Links:
– When troubleshooting serial communications it is sometimes helpful to use HyperTerminal. This program will send and receive information in/out of the serial ports.
http://accautomation.ca/three-free-plc-programming-software-tools/

Communications through the RS232 port is not difficult. You have a sender, receiver and the cable. You must prove that all three are correct in order for communication to start. Try to isolate each of the components.
Example:
RS232 port on the PLC - Use the manufactures software to communicate to it. This will prove the cable from the PLC to the computer and the port on the PLC is operating correctly.

Hope this helps you out.
Regards,

are you asking about "communicating" between the laptop computer - and the PLC processor for PROGRAMMING/MONITORING/TROUBLESHOOTING purposes?

or ...

for "communicating" for something like hooking up a barcode reader or printer, etc. ???

and (regardless) we really need to know the brand and model of PLC to even get started with this subject ..

It all depends on the PLC model and manufacturer. Different PLCs need different cables and adapters.

Most of my experience is with AB PLCs, but i wouldn't say connecting via serial is any harder than connecting via ethernet. The process for connecting via a RS232-DF1 is:
You have to have a serial port on your PC or a USB adapter, use a null modem cable, configure the correct driver in RSlinx using the correct Com port.

In contrast, for Ethernet you have to have a network adapter on your PC, you connect to the PLC using a patch cable, you configure the driver in RSlinx using the correct IP address.

HI Helliana,

Most computers nowadays do not have RS-232 port build in. Our simple solution is to us our I-7560, USB to RS-232 converter.

thumb.php

USB to RS-232 Converter for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7/8 / Windows 8.1.
Fully compliant with the USB 1.1/2.0/3.0, transmission speed up to 921.6 kbps.
Comes with CA-USB18 cable and no external power supply required.
Has operating temperature -25°C ~ +75°C (-13°F ~ +167°F).

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/i_7560u.html

If it's an AB go to YouTube and look up PLC professor. He's got a couple good videos on setting up drivers using RS Linx.

Grab a strong cup of coffee before hand!! Lot's of good info but a little monotone :)

I will definitely look up the YouTube video and regards to the other replies the laptop I'm using has the rs232 port built in it's actually gaining communication with the PlC it's self after the laptop is plugged in.