Downloading RS Logix 5000 v16.04 to a Windows 7 computer. Will not load properly.

Good Afternoon ,

I have a number of Rockwell PLC's that have different RS Logix 5000 versions . I was trying to download RS Logix 5000 ver. 16.04 to a Windows 7 laptop , and it does not download properly . Have any of you had any similar issues ? I would like to download numerious versions so that I can go online with every PLC in the plant with one laptop.

Thanks ,

Your terminology is not clear. What do you mean by downloading? Download in the AB PLC world means transferring the program from a PLC to your PC running the Logix programming software.

To go online/upload/download to a Logix PLC you will need to install the compatible version of Logix software. Yes, you can install multiple version of the Logix 5000 software. What's the exact problem you have, more details, please.

I'm sorry. I meant from the Rockwell Automation website. I want to have numerious versions on my laptop so that I can go online with every PLC in the plant.

Oh, you mean download from Rockwell. Yes, you can download as many version as you want as long as you are current on support agreement. If I remember it right, they use a "download manager" which I tries to avoid. They also have a regular download method.

What problem are you having?

From another thread:

"I have a Windows 7 laptop (Ultimate 32 bits). RSLogix 5000 V13, 15 and 17 work great. V16 always crash. Tried reinstalling, running as admninistrator, running in compatibility mode (WinXP SP3) but nothing works.

Only solution I found was runnin in Windows XP mode."

Might be a compatibility problem with 16 and Windows 7. I think it was 17 or 18 that was officially supported by Win 7.

From another thread:

"I have a Windows 7 laptop (Ultimate 32 bits). RSLogix 5000 V13, 15 and 17 work great. V16 always crash. Tried reinstalling, running as admninistrator, running in compatibility mode (WinXP SP3) but nothing works.

Only solution I found was runnin in Windows XP mode."

Might be a compatibility problem with 16 and Windows 7. I think it was 17 or 18 that was officially supported by Win 7.

V16 will run in Windows 7, I'm running it now. If I remember right, the typical issue was related to not having .NET framework 1.1 installed.

I'm still unclear if this is his problem though, hopefully he can clear up whether it's an issue installing, or just getting it. It seems like the problem is getting it from Rockwell. It is possible to download it from Rockwell as long as you have the proper support contract. I just checked again for fun.

It seemed like it downloaded fine from the Rockwell website. I did have the option of installing .NET framework 1.1 . I thought I chose install. Right now , my RS Logix 20.04 on this laptop is critical , and I don't want to screw that up.
I will try it again.

Thanks for your advice.

When .NET Framework v1.1 wants to install I get this .....

"This program has known compatibility issues ". When I check for solutions , it comes back and " No solutions found for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1"

Right now , my RS Logix 20.04 on this laptop is critical , and I don't want to screw that up.

That is part of the problem, I think.

With RSLogix5000, you cannot "insert" versions....

If you need V16, then you will have to uninstall V17 to V20 first before it will allow V16 to be installed....then once that is done, you re-install the later versions.....

It is Rockwell, no screwing up involved....:cry:

My old laptop would not run v16 on Windows 7 - it would install, but then crashed every time I tried to open a v16 project.

My new laptop, also running Window 7, does it just fine.

The old laptop was 32 bit and the new version was 64 bit, so that may have something to do with it - or else perhaps it's just the .NET issue alluded to above.

Either way, it's definitely possible to run v16 on Windows 7.