KepserverEX6

shazad5444

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear Friends,

Recently I downloaded demo KepserverEX6, I can easily configure my PLC with it and can see the status of my tags in it, problem is that I can't access these tags in MS Excel. Found one PDF file on Kepserver website but it is not helping completely. Can anyone help me by sharing any document or video link, how I can see my PLC tags in Excel.

What format are you using to read the tags into Excel?
Are you trying to read them from KepServer or HMI?
What HMI are you using, or are only reading directly into Excel?

I'm reading tags direct from PLC, not using HMI. Right now I'm working with Siemens S7 300. I need to modify some PLC parameters and also need to observe some other PLC parameters during my work, so I want to access these tag values into Excel to keep eye on these parameters, can't go to different subroutines to check the tag values. I want to access the word from PLC to Excel.

From Kepserver manual...

Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) is a Microsoft communications protocol that provides a method for exchanging data between applications running on a Windows operating system. The DDE client program opens a channel to the DDE server application and requests item data using a hierarchy of the application (service) name, topic name, and item name.

For DDE clients to connect to the server interface, the runtime must be allowed to interact with the
desktop.
For more information, refer to How to Allow Desktop Interactions.

Example 1: Accessing a Register Locally (Using the Default Topic)
The syntax is <application>|<topic>!<item> where:
l application: DDE service name
l topic: _ddedata*
l item: Modbus.PLC1.40001
*This is the default topic for all DDE data that does not use an alias map entry.

Note: An example of the syntax is "MyDDE|_ddedata!Modbus.PLC1.40001".

Example 2: Accessing a Register Locally (Using an Alias Name as a Topic)
The syntax is <application>|<topic>!<item> where:
l application: DDE service name
l topic: ModPLC1*
l item: 40001
*This is the topic using the alias map entry.

Note: An example of the syntax is "MyDDE|ModPLC1!40001" . For additional possible syntax, refer to the DDE client's specific help documentation.

I think an = sign is required in Excel cell for a remote reference.
So "MyDDE|ModPLC1!40001" should be "=MyDDE|ModPLC1!40001"

Last edited:
NetNathan, thanks for your quick reply. I have seen this in the Kepware manual, but they don't defined the procedure how to do it in Kepware? When I'm applying above mentioned method Excel is giving error. Above mentioned manual only says configuration in Excel. We have many videos on internet where the explain to write tags in Excel, but no specific video about Kepserver.

I just went through this, I used Cogent OPC hub as an intermediary between kepware and excel. I couldnt ever make excel pull from kepware directly.

NetNathan, thanks for your quick reply. I have seen this in the Kepware manual, but they don't defined the procedure how to do it in Kepware? When I'm applying above mentioned method Excel is giving error. Above mentioned manual only says configuration in Excel. We have many videos on internet where the explain to write tags in Excel, but no specific video about Kepserver.

Have you built any tags in Kepserver?
What is the communication connection to the S7 300? Which Kepserver are you using to talk to the S7 300?

Also...
https://www.kepware.com/en-us/support/resource-library/connectivity-guides/kepserverex-dde-and-excel/

And...

https://www.kepware.com/support/knowledge-base/default.asp?solution=/_ui/selfservice/pkb/PublicKnowledgeSolution/d?&id=50140000000HasrCsY

Last edited:
Hello Netnatha, Yes I configured tags in Kepserver and can see the these tags live in Kepserver quick serever. I'm using eathernet communication. I can get communication when I'm on system services mode, on interactive mode I can access my PLC, so DDE client will not work. Can you help me why I can't access my PLC on interactive mode? Is there any addition option require?

Hello NetNathan, I solved the problem partially. In interactive mode I was trying to open Kepware in user mode though I always opened this application with admin rights, so I switch user to admin and resolved the interactive mode.

I created one excel sheet, which is now communicating with OPC server, but problem is that I can't create more sheet with different Topics, so I'm saving as the existing sheet with different names and communicating with OPC. Can you tell me why it is happening, do we need to make any changes in Excel 2007 workbook?

FYI. I wrote command in Kepware
Excel|OPC!R1C2 and it worked. Excel is the name of Device and OPC is the Topic (change sheet 1 name to OPC).

Hello NetNathan, I solved the problem partially. In interactive mode I was trying to open Kepware in user mode though I always opened this application with admin rights, so I switch user to admin and resolved the interactive mode.

I created one excel sheet, which is now communicating with OPC server, but problem is that I can't create more sheet with different Topics, so I'm saving as the existing sheet with different names and communicating with OPC. Can you tell me why it is happening, do we need to make any changes in Excel 2007 workbook?

Excel|OPC!R1C2 and it worked. Excel is the name of Device and OPC is the Topic (change sheet 1 name to OPC).

Friends, There is confusion in Kepware provided online manuals. I found the solution of this problem "How to read and write tags into MS Excel"

Make Topic (Sheet1 - Rename)in Excel sheet with any name, for example I renamed "Sheet1" to OPC.

Now come to Kepware, where you already configure your Channel1 and Device1. These are the default name and leave as it is for understanding.

Now in device1 write following command for Tag1, Tag2, Tag3 (Tags for Device1).

Excel|OPC!R1C2
Excel|OPC!R2C2
Excel|OPC!R3C2

Save and launch OPC Quick client. Now you write values in Excel or Quick OPC values and enjoy. If something is not clear feel free to contact. I will try my best to help.

Back
Top Bottom