Control Logix 5555 / PANELVIEW 550

Tim ODell

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am new to this and gotten my hands on the follow device for learning. Was told it was fully functional, but have ended up finding it not to be the case.
Control Logic 5555 using the Control Net Communication Bridge module 1756-cnb/0 with a 550 Panelview Display.
The PLC is showing the red light for a dead battery which I have just order.
On The Display I am get the following messages.
634 Com error = 9022 0,7
636 Communication Interface Alert. Initial Write Fail Node=2
634 Read fail Node=2
Was all this do to the battery? Or something worse?
I have the user manual on the Display but haven't found my answer yet
Can anybody shade some light on these error

Thanks

Do you have any leading "0" in the IP address?

Example.

If so remove them

And welcome to the forum...

Last edited:
On The Display I am get the following messages.
634 Com error = 9022 0,7
636 Communication Interface Alert. Initial Write Fail Node=2
634 Read fail Node=2
Was all this do to the battery? Or something worse?
It would be useful if you provide the part number of the PanelView.

I suppose the PanelView is connected to the PLC via ControlNet. Since the battery is dead, the program is lost and the PanelView can not find any declared tag.

I am sorry for omitted this info
The Panelview 550 is a Cat. 2711-B5A15 / Ser.F / Rev.L / Frn. 4.20
It is connected to the PLC by ControlNet using an Allen Bradley 1756-CNB/D / Series. D / F/W Rev. 05.22

We know the processor's BAT indicator is solid Red.

But...

Is the processor's OK indicator solid Green?

Is the processor's RUN indicator solid Green?

If not, then it is likely that your processor is "running" on empty.

Tim ODell said:
...I am new to this...

Are you completely new to the Logix Platform or just to say ControlNet communications?

What, if any, Rockwell software do you have available to you?

Using quite an old Logix controller and the ControlNet protocol would not be the most ideal entry point into the world of "Logix" for any newcomer. Today's equivalent standards would be world's apart in many respects. Whether it's any easier to pick up nowadays is indeed debatable?

Anyway, it is what it is and I would never knock anyone who is hungry to learn.

Regards,
George

To answer your ?
The processor's OK indicator it show the solid Green light

The processor's RUN indicator does turn solid Green after I turn the key to the run postion

Lastly this is my very first Controllogix PLC.

Software I have is RS500 and Panelview

Thanks

OK, the indicator status looks promising.

I'm not going to be smart with you here but just to the point. This is because you are learning.

Loose terminology or poor recollection...

"RS500" is not a software product. You are either choosing to abbreviate what you actually have or you are remembering it's name incorrectly. It could be that you mean "RSLogix 500", but let's be sure...

There is RSLogix 500 for programming the SLC and MicroLogix controllers. This will not program your ControlLogix controller or allow you to go online with it.

There is RSLogix 5000 for programming the ControlLogix controllers such as yours. This is what you need.

So which of those do you have?

"Panelview" is also not a software product. "PanelView" refers to the hardware family of HMI operator interfaces or terminals. To program your older "Standard PanelView" 550 terminal you will require "PanelBuilder32" software.

Do you have PanelBuilder32?

G.

OK Tim. Thanks for the clarification but you you are not going to get very far learning on the Logix 5000 platform without RSLogix 5000 programming software.

What are your thoughts on this?

Regards,
George

I think it's like that there is no user program in the CPU.

My recollection is that the 1756-L55 would actually recover from a dead-battery-related empty program fault by loading a one-rung "DEFAULT" program if you cycle the keyswitch.

It's possible there is a program in a nonvolatile memory daughtercard; the memory was modular on the L55, and there were 1756-M2x memory modules that were nonvolatile, compared to the 1756-M1x RAM only modules.

Tim, look for a part number like "1756-L55M12" or "1756-L55M22" on the controller.

On the Processor card (Cat. 1756-L55/A) it had another label attach
Cat.1756-M13/A 1.5M Byte Memory Expansion

I was considering that earlier Ken. That the processor may be able to run empty but I couldn't quite recall?

Without the software to go online here were sort of dead in the water. Even if there is a running program we are blind to what it's configured to do. Both in hardware and software.

Also, it's highly doubtful that RSNetWorx for ControlNet is going to be available here should the network require attention. Those comms errors could be NUT related.

On the Processor card (Cat. 1756-L55/A) it had another label attach
Cat.1756-M13/A 1.5M Byte Memory Expansion

Unfortunately the 1756-M13 option is volatile memory. This means that once the battery died it could no longer support the memory and the program was wiped.

You currently have no program in this controller and currently no means to download one to it.

So what I am taken in from all this is the following
I will need to get the software and also get a copy of the program that was in it.
Change out the battery download the program in the PLC
Correct?
Will surely have a busy day tomorrow searching the web and calling some old time friends

Thanks allot guys
This surely is going to be a learning lesson for me

Tim