Looking for a few USB to Serial converters . What are the ones you recommend?

Rob S.

Good Morning ,

I am looking to purchase a few USB to Serial converters . What are the best , and which ones do you recommend ?

Thanks always for your advice ,

Anything that uses the FTDI chipset.

Had a salesman handing these out for a demo. Work well and free! YMMV on the "free" part.

Just came to recommend the same. It really matters what chipset converter uses, I bought some random Chinese cable and it didn't work (RS232 to USB), while one with FTDI chipset had no issues. I connected Mitsubishi Alpha 2 controller.

I had used the Keyspan USA-19HS exclusively until I ran across one particular radio modem that didn't like it. For that device, I have started using a cheap one I found in a box of old parts. I have used several of those offered by GIT for A/B stuff and they look like this one:

http://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

I may order a couple of those since just Friday I learned that our new guy doesn't have a plain USB-RS232 converter in his kit.

I would recommend getting more than one type if you are in a field where you never know what sort of gadget you might need to communicate with on any given day.

Brainboxes

Hi,

I use Brainboxes. They work great both in ExpressCard (not very frequent today) or USB.

Best regards,
Kelkoon

I had used the Keyspan USA-19HS exclusively until I ran across one particular radio modem that didn't like it. For that device, I have started using a cheap one I found in a box of old parts. I have used several of those offered by GIT for A/B stuff and they look like this one:

http://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

I may order a couple of those since just Friday I learned that our new guy doesn't have a plain USB-RS232 converter in his kit.

I would recommend getting more than one type if you are in a field where you never know what sort of gadget you might need to communicate with on any given day.

+1 on this one. I have never found something that I couldn't connect to with it.

I also used the Keyspan USA-19HS for a while but ran into intermittent problems when connecting to various Micrologix PLCs.
It may have been a driver issue, but I wanted a backup option so ordered the Omron CS1W-CIF31. It's a bit more expensive but has been bullet-proof so far.