Control more than One stepper

zon

Has anyone used a plc to control more than one stepper driver?
I have used Omron for one driver but I am not sure which
manufacture would be best for 2 or 3 motors. It looks like
Semiens S7-226 with the EM253 module may be a solution but it
would be nice to get experienced opinions if possible.

Thanks, hope I can return the favor.
KZ

From single-unit ones I have worked with:
Mitsubishi FX, FX1, FX2,
Allen Bradley Micrologix 1500,
Omron CQM1.
All them can control two axis without special modules.
Mitsubishi can be expanded for more axis, AB ML1500- not.
Not sure about CQM.

If I am not wrong Omron CJ1 support 2 axis on the base module, if you want further ones, just the add the NC cards.

I have done a project on AB SLC 5/04 with 25 Stepper motors, of course with 25 HSTP1 cards. Altough the machine works as intended, the PLC Scan time was about 40msec. This could be a drawback for certain applications.

multiple steppers

Thank you all for for help and insight on control of more than
one stepper motor.

KZ

Cqm1h and stepper drive

Jay Anthony said:
Omron CQM1H will support up to four axises of stepper control.

Jay
Could you possibly post a example of how to accomplish this?

I always look for your reply on these topics.
Have never tried to control a stepper motor, but may have a project that would require me to control how far a stepper drvie would run based on the value entered on a display.

Not exactly sure how to accomplish this.

thanks